USA: CHRISTOPHER REEVE MAKES HIS DIRECTORIAL DEBUT WITH 'IN THE GLOAMING' AND RECEIVES A STAR ON THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAMERecord ID: 386919
- Title: USA: CHRISTOPHER REEVE MAKES HIS DIRECTORIAL DEBUT WITH 'IN THE GLOAMING' AND RECEIVES A STAR ON THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME
- Date: 14th April 1997
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (APRIL 14, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) CHRISTOPHER REEVE (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING IT WAS A GREAT STEP FOWARD FOR ME BECAUSE I SPENT MOST OF 1995 BECOMING MEDICALLY STABLE AND SURVIVING AND TO GO ON FROM SURVIVING TO GET BACK TO CREATIVE WORK INSTEAD OF WORRYING ABOUT MEDICAL THINGS ALL THE TIME, IT WAS A TREMENDOUS RELIEF FOR ME. I'VE BEEN AN ACTOR FOR 27 YEARS SO TO BE ABLE TO MAKE A TRANSFORMATION TO DIRECTING IS A NATURAL PROGRESSION SO I DIDN'T LOSE MY LIVELIHOOD, I GAINED A NEW DIMENSION TO IT REEVE'S WIFE DANA, LOOKING ON REEVE (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING TO HAVE A PREMIERE LIKE THIS, TO HAVE HBO STAND BEHIND IT, TO HAVE GLENN AND DAVID AND ROBERT AND WHOOPI SUPPORTING IT, IT'S SUCH AN HONOUR. BECAUSE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, THINGS LOOKED PRETTY BLEAK, YOU KNOW AFTER THE ACCIDENT I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT MY FUTURE WAS GOING TO BE AND I FEEL THAT WHILE I'M SITTING DOWN, I'VE ACTUALLY LANDED ON MY FEET VARIOUS OF REEVE ON SET, DIRECTING HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (APRIL 15, 1997) (REUTERS) CHRISTOPHER REEVE ARRIVING CROWD APPLAUDING GLENN CLOSE AND JANE SEYMOUR IN CROWD DANA AND WILL REEVE GLENN CLOSE (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING I THINK THAT IT IS BEFITTING THAT CHRISTOPHER IS HONOURED TODAY WITH A STAR FIRMLY PLANTED IN THE EARTH ON THIS BOULEVARD. IN THE YEARS TO COME, MANY PEOPLE WILL TREAD ON THIS SPOT. SOME WILL NOTICE HIS NAME AND SOME WILL NOT BECAUSE THEY WILL BE PREOCCUPIED WITH JUST TRYING TO GET THROUGH THE DAY, BUT IF THEY DO PAUSE TO SEE THE NAME GRACING THIS PLACE, THEY WILL KNOW THAT IT'S THE NAME OF A TRUE HERO, A MAN WHO GIVES US HOPE BECAUSE HE EMBODIES THE TRUE TRIUMPH OF THE HUMAN SPIRIT, A MAN WHO ELEVATES AND INSPIRES US, WHO TEACHES US DAILY THAT THE IMPOSSIBLE IS POSSIBLE WILL REEVE, SON OF CHRISTOPHER, UNVEILING THE STAR CHRISTOPHER REEVE WITH STAR CHRISTOPHER REEVE (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING OUT OF A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE HAS COME A NEW OPPORTUNITY AND I AM TRULY LUCKY THAT I AM ABLE TO DO SOMETHING I LOVE AND I HAVEN'T LOST ANYTHING - I HAVE GAINED ALOT CHRISTOPHER, DANA AND WILL REEVE WITH STAR
- Reuters ID: LVACMT44PM4VAWGAYLVKC1Z6CYLL
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:04:17
- Story Text: Christohper Reeve has made his directorial debut with a new cable televison film "In The Gloaming." The film tells the tragic story of a young man afflicted with AIDS who has come home to die.
Reeve and the film's star Glenn Close attended the gala premiere on Monday (April 14) at the Director's Guild in Los Angeles, California.
"In The Gloaming," also stars Bridget Fonda, Whoopi Goldberg, Robert Sean Leonard and David Strathairn.
On Tuesday, hundreds of fans gathered around Reeve as he was honoured with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
The "Superman" star, paralyzed two years ago in a horseback riding accident, was accompanied by his wife, Dana, and his son, Will.
Will unveiled his father's star watched by about 500 fans.
Jane Seymour, who starred with Reeve in the film "Somewhere in Time," attended the ceremony.
Glenn Close also was there for the star's unveiling. She told the crowd: "I think it's befitting that Christopher is honoured today with a star firmly planted in the earth on this boulevard." Reeve told reporters, "Out of a life changing experience has come a new opportunity. And, I am truly lucky that I am able to do something I love. I haven't lost anything, I have gained alot."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th April 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None