UNITED KINGDOM: BRITISH FILM INDUSTRY HANDS OUT ITS HOUNOURS - THE BRITISH ACADEMY AWARDSRecord ID: 386938
- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: BRITISH FILM INDUSTRY HANDS OUT ITS HOUNOURS - THE BRITISH ACADEMY AWARDS
- Date: 29th April 1997
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (APRIL 29, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) ANTHONY MINGHELLA (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING IT'S WONDERFUL, IT'S A GREAT ENDORSEMENT FOR THE FILM. WE ALL STAND UP AND GET THESE GONGS BUT IT'S THE FILM THAT'S SPEAKING. WE FOUGHT FOR IT, WE BELIEVED IN IT AND WE WERE PASSIONATE ABOUT MAKING A FILM FOR GROWN UPS AND GROWN UPS HAVE COME TO SEE IT..IT WAS A LOT OF EFFORT. WE CRAWLED OUR WAY MOST OF THE TIME BUT WE'RE SMILING TONIGHT LAUREN BACALL (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING I FEEL THAT I RECEIVED TREMENDOUS RECOGNITION FOR THAT FILM ("THE MIRROR HAS TWO FACES") MUCH MORE THAN I EXPECTED. I WAS NOMINATED FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT I DON'T HAVE ANOTHER 50 YEARS TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE
- Reuters ID: LVAQSCMCKY368PDDYGPZMMTU4UJ
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:00:48
- Story Text: "Secrets and Lies" and "The English Patient" have shared the honours at the 1997 British Academy Awards.
Nine-times Oscar winner "The English Patient" scooped Best Film, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Supporting Actress for Juliette Binoche.
Mike Leigh's "Secrets and Lies" took the Alex Korda Award for Best British Bilm of the year, Best Original Screenplay and Best Leading Actress for its star, Brenda Blethyn.
But there was disappointment once more for Hollywood legend Lauren Bacall, who was beaten to the Best Supporting Actress prize by Juliette Binoche -- just as she was at the Oscars.
Bacall, shimmering in a blue-sequinned trouser suit, attended the awards ceremony at the Royal Albert Hall as a presenter.
"English Patient" leads Ralph Fiennes and Kristin Scott Thomas also missed out once more in a near-repeat of the Oscars.
Neither was there to swallow their disappointment --Fiennes is acting in Moscow and Scott Thomas is filming "The Horse Whisperer" with Robert Redford.
The Royal Albert Hall was thronged with stars for the ceremony, hosted by comedian Lenny Henry and broadcast on British Television by the BBC.
Among the celebrties were Kate Winslet, Diana Ross, William Hurt, Michael Caine and Nigel Hawthorne, as well as score of British television stars.
"Secrets and Lies" star Timothy Spall attended with his wife.
It was the actor's first public appearance since renewed health fears.
The most emotional reaction of the night came from "The English Patient" star Juliette Binoche, who was moved to tears.
Accepting her award, she said: "I was frightened tonight because I thought England did not like me. I am so moved. Thank you so much." The full list of winners of the British Academy Awards film awards are: The Fellowship Award - Woody Allen and Julie Christie.
The Alexander Korda Award for the outstanding British Film of the Year - Secrets & Lies.
Best Film - The English Patient (Saul Zaentz & Anthony Minghella) David Lean Award for best achievement in Direction - Joel Coen (Fargo).
Best Screenplay (original) - Secrets & Lies, Mike Leigh.
Best Screenplay (adapted) - The English Patient - Anthony Minghella.
Best performance by an actress in a leading role - Brenda Blethyn (Secrets & Lies) Best performance by an actor in a leading role - Geoffrey Rush (Shine).
Best performance by an actress in a supporting role - Juliette Binoche (The English Patient) Best performance by an actor in a supporting role - Paul Scofield (The Crucible).
Best Film not in the English Language - Ridicule.
Best short film - Des Marjorettes Dans L'Espace.
Best short animated film - The Old Lady and the Pigeons.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:14th May 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None