- Title: MONACO: MUSIC STARS ATTEND WORLD MUSIC AWARDS CEREMONY
- Date: 16th April 1997
- Summary: REHEARSAL FOR THE AWARDS SHOW, SOUND CHECKS
- Reuters ID: LVA8SDG5G17SFSHUCFWO2W1A5VDP
- Location: MONTE CARLO, MONACO
- Country: Monaco
- Duration: 00:00:18
- Topics: Royalty
- Story Text: The world's rock and pop royalty rubbed shoulders with Monaco's Prince Albert as he hosted a special lunch to kick off the festivities at the World Music Awards, due to be handed out in the principality on Thursday (April 17).
The annual event, which is broadcast worldwide to millions of viewers, seeks to honour artists who have succeeded in crossing cultural barriers to reach a worldwide audience.
Amongst those attending this year's event were the Bee Gees, who are set to add another Lifetime Achievement award to the one they won at the Brit Awards in London earlier this year.
Celine Dion and Lionel Richie are also expected to be honoured for their work. Like the Bee Gees, Ritchie has recently enjoyed a career renaissance with a new album out this year.
Michael Jackson performed at last year's ceremony, but there were conflicting reports as to whether he would attend this year.
The United States film magazine Variety reported that he was planning a personal appearance at the Cannes Film Festival next month instead, to promote a new video.
His fans were present in Monte Carlo nevertheless, in case he decided to put in an appearance after all.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:1st May 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.