USA: CLINT EASTWOOD TAKES ANOTHER TURN IN THE DIRECTOR'S CHAIR BY BRINGING THE BEST SELLING NOVEL "MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL" TO THE BIG SCREENRecord ID: 387330
- Title: USA: CLINT EASTWOOD TAKES ANOTHER TURN IN THE DIRECTOR'S CHAIR BY BRINGING THE BEST SELLING NOVEL "MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL" TO THE BIG SCREEN
- Date: 17th November 1997
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 17, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) ( ** BEWARE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **) EXTERIOR OF THEATRE HOSTING PREMIERE JOHN CUSACK POSING WITH MUSICIAN K.D. LANG (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) CUSACK SAYING, "IT WASN'T REALLY SHOT REALLY FAST IT WAS SHOT UM, ECONOMICALLY, I MEAN, HE JUST DOESN'T WASTE A LOT OF TIME, YOU KNOW, LIKE A LOT OF DIRECTORS WHO DO." (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) K.D. LANG SAYING OF WORKING ON THE SOUNDTRACK, "THE PRESSURE'S ON BUT A VERY EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY AND EXPERIENCE IT WAS, AND CLINT WAS THERE BECAUSE HE'S A HUGE JAZZ FAN SO, IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE." CLINT EASTWOOD ARRIVING (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) EASTWOOD SAYING OF DIRECTING A MOVIE OUT OF A FAMOUS BOOK, "YEAH, IT WAS GOOD, YOU'RE TRYING TO LIVE UP TO THE BEST-SELLER IMAGE OF THE BOOK WHICH, JOHN BERENDT'S CHRONICLING OF THE BOOK WAS GREAT, REPORTER ASKS DO THESE PREMIERES STILL MAKE YOU NERVOUS, CLINT SAYING YEAH, A LITTLE BIT, KINDA DO THE GAUNTLET HERE." EASTWOOD WITH THE PRESS (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) KEVIN SPACEY SAYING OF CLINT EASTWOOD, "OH, HE'S A MASTER. HE FILLS YOU WITH SUCH CONFIDENCE, HE MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING." ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER ARRIVING (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER SAYING, "I'M HERE TO SUPPORT MY GREAT FRIEND CLINT EASTWOOD. WHATEVER MOVIE HE DOES, I'M THERE FOR THE OPENING OF MOVIE BECAUSE HE'S A GOOD PAL, AND HE'S MY MENTOR." ALLISON EASTWOOD ARRIVES (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) ALLISON EASTWOOD SAYING OF WORKING WITH HER DAD, "NO, VERY NATURAL, IT'S VERY NATURAL, I'VE GROWN UP WITH HIM, I'VE GROWN UP WATCHING HIM, I'VE BEEN DIRECTED BY HIM BEFORE SO IT WAS REALLY NATURAL AND WONDERFUL."
- Reuters ID: LVAEOP816A6OBK3D9K0D7UMIT53S
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES/ FILM lOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:01:27
- Story Text: - Oscar-winning filmmaker Clint Eastwood takes another turn in the director's chair by bringing the best-selling novel "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" to the big screen.
Eastwood and his cast attended the film's World Premiere in Los Angeles on Sunday (November 17).
Friends of Eastwood, including Arnold Schwarzenegger, turned out for the premiere "I'm here to support my great friend Clint Eastwood. Whatever movie he does, I'm there for the opening of the movie because he's a good pal, and he's my mentor", Schwarzenegger said.
In the film, John Cusack stars as John Kelso, a young writer from New York sent to Savannah, Georgia on behalf of a magazine.
He's there to cover a prestigious Christmas party given each year by Jim Williams, one of Savannah's most prominent and colorful citizens, played by Oscar winner Kevin Spacey.
At the premiere Spacey enthused about the talents of Eastwood as a director.
"He's a master, he fills you with such confidence, he makes you feel like you actually know what you're doing", he said.
Kelso's assignment seems straightforward, until he gets to Savannah. Once on the ground, he encounters the strange and outrageous denizens of the city's high society.
They include Minerva (Irma Hall), a voodoo priestess; The Lady Chablis, played by herself, a transvestite singer with a unique viewpoint on Savannah's social and personal activities; and Mandy Nichols, an independent young woman played by Eastwood's daughter Alison Eastwood who helps Kelso unravel the many layers of Savannah's social structure.
However, events following Williams' Christmas party,promise to be even more juicy material for Kelso's magazine.
Not long after the annual fete, Williams is arrested for murder. Claiming self-defence, he has shot and killed his live-in lover, Billy Hanson (Jude Law) who, it seems, had a history of irrational, often violent behavior.
Kelso's article soon evolves into a book about a startling murder trial in an unexpected setting. That book is "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." The book was written by author John Berendt, on whom the Kelso character is based. Since it's publication in 1994, the novel has enjoyed extraordinary success, gracing the New York Times bestseller list for over three years.
The film was shot on location in Savannah's historic central district. The beautiful squares, stately gardens and elegant home were essential in establishing the mood and locale of the story.
The film's soundtrack features classic compositions of Savannah's native son, songwriter Johnny Mercer, covered by musicians including k.d. Lang, Joe Williams, Rosemary Clooney and Paula Cole.
In addition, three of the cast members add their own musical performances to the soundtrack. Kevin Spacey sings "That Old Black Magic," Alison Eastwood sings "Come Rain or Come Shine," and Clint himself, a big jazz fan, sings "Accentuate the Positive."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:2nd December 1997 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None