USA: DENZEL WASHINGTON ATTENDS THE WORLD PREMIERE OF "FALLEN", A NEW THRILLER IN WHICH HE PLAYS A DETECTIVE ON THE TRAIL OF A SERIAL KILLERRecord ID: 387390
- Title: USA: DENZEL WASHINGTON ATTENDS THE WORLD PREMIERE OF "FALLEN", A NEW THRILLER IN WHICH HE PLAYS A DETECTIVE ON THE TRAIL OF A SERIAL KILLER
- Date: 9th January 1998
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JANUARY 9, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) EMBETH DAVIDTZ SAYING, "I THINK THE IDEA THAT IT GOES INTO THE SUPERNATURAL, THE IDEA THAT IT'S NOT JUST ON THE LEVEL OF, THERE'S A BAD GUY WHO'S A KILLER, WHO'S KILLING PEOPLE, IT'S ABOUT, THERE'S A MYSTERY OF WHAT MOTIVATES PEOPLE TO KILL, TO DO BAD OR TO DO GOOD, AND I THINK THAT'S WHAT TAKES IT TO ANOTHER LEVEL." (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) DENZEL WASHINGTON SAYING OF THE SUPERNATURAL, "I DON'T BELIEVE THAT IT COULD HAPPEN LIKE IT COULD HAPPEN IN THIS FILM, BUT, UH, YOU KNOW, I BELIEVE IN GOOD OVER EVIL."
- Reuters ID: LVADADMEWSLFD6HQO3WEY1HUG1A4
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES AND FILM lOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:22
- Story Text: - Oscar winning actor Denzel Washington plays a police detective who finds out evil comes in all shapes and sizes in the new thriller "Fallen,' directed by the man who brought Richard Gere's "Primal Fear" to the big screen. The film's World Premiere was in Los Angeles Friday, January 9.
Washington plays decorated homicide detective John Hobbes who, together with his partner, Jonesy, played by John Goodman, have apprehended a demonic serial killer, been present at his trial and witnessed his execution.
Now, the pair is suddenly confronted with a new series of slayings committed in the late killer's same peculiar style. Their superior officer, played by Donald Sutherland, is unsure whether these new murders are the work of a copycat or a rogue cop. When continuing police investigation uncovers circumstantial evidence implicating Hobbes in the killings, the detective is drawn into a mystery that leads him to a theology professor played by Embeth Davidtz.
Her knowledge of the supernatural issues involved in the case proves crucial and Hobbes' investigation forces the detective to question his beliefs about the forces of light and darkness and brings him face to face with one overwhelming truth: pure evil is eternal and knows no bounds.
"Fallen" is directed by Gregory Hoblit, whose previous thriller "Primal Fear" starring Richard Gere, was a surprise box office hit last spring. "Fallen" is written by Oscar-nominee Nicholas Kazan and produced by the late Dawn Steel.
Denzel Washington has been nominated for three Oscars: one for his performance in "Cry Freedom" as South African Steven Biko, one for playing Malcolm X in Spike Lee's film of the same name, and one for his role in the civil war drama "Glory," for which he ultimately won the gold statue. His other films include "Philadelphia," "Crimson Tide," "Devil in a Blue Dres" and "Courage Under Fire." Embeth Davidtz gained international attention when she was cast by Steven Spielberg in his Oscar-winning epic "Schindler's List." Her other films include "Murder in the First" opposite Christian Slater and Kevin Bacon, Merchant-Ivory's "Feast of July" and Robert Altman's upcoming "The Gingerbread Man." "Fallen" opens in theaters throughout the United States on Friday, January 16.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th January 1998 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None