ITALY/UK:ELTON JOHN IS KNIGHTED IN BRITAIN'S NEW YEAR HONOURS LIST FOR HIS SERVICES TO MUSIC AND CHARITIESRecord ID: 387394
- Title: ITALY/UK:ELTON JOHN IS KNIGHTED IN BRITAIN'S NEW YEAR HONOURS LIST FOR HIS SERVICES TO MUSIC AND CHARITIES
- Date: 31st December 1997
- Summary: LONDON ,UK (DECEMBER 10,1997 (REUTERS ) (MUSIC OVERLAID OF CANDLE IN WIND ) ELTON JOHN ET AL HOLDING CHEQUE FOR 20 MILLION AT KENSINGTON . PALACE
- Reuters ID: LVA7T5PTGMVGHU7Z2ZZ3Q4KBZX5X
- Location: MILAN, ITALY AND LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:00:17
- Topics: Entertainment
- Story Text: - Singer Elton John has been honoured with a knighthood by the Queen in her New Year's Honours list on Wednesday (December 31).
Under his full name, Elton Hercules John was honoured for services to music and to charities.
The 50 year-old star, nee Reginal Dwight, was one of many rewarded for helping with the organisation of Diana, Princess of Wales' funeral.
Prime Minister Tony Blair put forward the names of hundreds of those who are neither rich nor famous in what he wants to transform into a "people's honours" system.
Elton, said he was delighted at the recognition shown to everyone connected with his Aids foundation and other charities.
Elton sang a new version of his song "Candle in the Wind" at the funeral of Diana, who died in a car crash in Paris on August 31. Its worldwide sales of 33 million copies have made it the world's top-selling single and raised 20 million pounds (33.4 million U.S. dollars) for the charity memorial fund named after the princess.
Elton was among 25 knights and four life peers named by Blair in his first honours list since taking office in May. Formally the honours are awarded by Queen Elizabeth.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:15th January 1998 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.