USA:THE CREAM OF AMERICA'S POP MUSIC GATHER TO BATTLE IT OUT FOR THE TOP HONOURS AT THE ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDSRecord ID: 387477
- Title: USA:THE CREAM OF AMERICA'S POP MUSIC GATHER TO BATTLE IT OUT FOR THE TOP HONOURS AT THE ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS
- Date: 26th January 1998
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA UNITES STATES (JANUARY 26, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) JULIO IGLESIAS SAYING, "RECOGNIZING THE LATINO MUSIC IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME AND IT'S A GREAT STEP TO DEFEND OUR MUSIC IN THE FUTURE, BECAUSE WE HAVE AN ENORMOUS, ENORMOUS GREAT ARTISTS, LATINO ARTISTS ALL OVER THE WORLD, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR US. THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF TONIGHT FOR US..." (REPORTER INTERJECTS ASKING IF IT IS A SPECIAL HONOUR TO BE THE FIRST ONE TO GET THE AWARD)... "I'M THE BEST ONE DARLING AND IT'S NOT, IT'S NO MATTER AFTER 30 YEARS, AND I DESERVE IT YOU KNOW. THIS IS 30 YEARS, (UNINTELLIGIBLE), I DESERVE IT."
- Reuters ID: LVA2MZ9WPKKL0OIOUBWJ7N5PB2NS
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:32
- Topics: Entertainment
- Story Text: - INTRO: The Spice Girls made a clean sweep of the 25th annual American Music Awards in Los Angeles on Monday (January 26), winning in all three of their categories, while r&b/rap producer/performer Puff Daddy, having recieved five nominations in varying categories, went home empty-handed.
The British pop sensations, who were rehearsing for their world tour in Dublin won for favourite band, favourite album ("Spice") and favourite new artist in the pop/rock category. Other winners who did not turn up included Frank Sinatra, who received the honourary Award of Merit, Celine Dion, Elton John, Mariah Carey and British rockers Bush.
Perhaps the emotional highlight of the evening was Nancy Sinatra's acceptance of the Award of Merit on behalf of father Frank, whom she told the audience was "the coolest guy on the face of the planet, next to Puff Daddy: my Daddy." Besides the Spice Girls, the other multiple winners were Babyface and George Strait, with two trophies each.
Babyface, the stage name of singer-producer Kenneth Edmonds, won favourite male artist in both the pop/rock and soul/R&B categories.Edmonds, won favourite male artist in both the pop/rock and soul/R&B categories.
Upon accepting his first award to a standing ovation, a surprised Babyface said at the podium that he would be "remiss" if he did not acknowledge Combs: "I love you, I really do... He's my guy." The second time he went up, Babyface took Combs in a lengthy embrace.
Winners who were present included Erykah Badu, who was favourite new artist in the soul/R&B category, and Lee Ann Womack, who won the award in the country category.
Julio Iglesias won the inaugural favourite Latin artist award, beating his heartthrob son, Enrique, and Luis Miguel. The elder Iglesias said backstage that it was only natural for him to win the first award because "I'm the best one, darling." The ceremony took place at the Shrine Auditorium, with comedian Drew Carey hosting. Performers included Puff Daddy, Garth Brooks, Janet Jackson and matchbox 20.
Winners of the American Music Awards are determined by a poll of about 20,000 members of the public who are chosen on the basis of geographic location, age, sex and race. Nominees are based on sales and radio airplay data.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:10th February 1998 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None