- Title: USA: PAUL NEWMAN IS BACK ON THE BIG SCREEN IN "TWILIGHT"
- Date: 18th February 1998
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (RECENT) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) SUSAN SARANDON SAYING OF NEWMAN ,"HE'S JUST A CLASSY GUY, YOU KNOW, HE'S A CLASSY GUY AND ON TOP OF THAT HE HAS A LOT OF FUN AND...IT'S GREAT TO THINK THAT YOU CAN STAY IN THE BUSINESS AS LONG AS HE'S BEEN IN IT AND NOT BE BITTER OR CRANKY OR, HE JUST ENJOYS EVERYTHING AND EVERYTHING'S A SURPRISE FOR HIM ... I REMEMBER HIM ONCE SAYING C'MON, C'MON, I WANT YOU TO LISTEN TO THIS AND BRINGING ME IN TO LISTEN TO SOME STRING QUARTET OR SOMETHING ON SOME TAPE THAT HE HAD, YOU KNOW. TASTE THIS TOMATO, YOU KNOW, HE'D BRING ME IN, I JUST GOT THESE TOMATOES AND TASTE THIS, I MEAN, JUST SO ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT LIFE, I MEAN, OBVIOUSLY, THAT'S WHY HE LOOKS SO GREAT." PAUL NEWMAN SAYING OBVIOUSLY HOLLYWOOD IN THE 40'S WAS A MUCH STRONGER AND VIBRANT PRESENCE THEN IT IS TODAY AND SO, THERE'S SOMETHING THAT IS FADED ABOUT IT AND THERE'S SOMETHING FADED ABOUT THE CHARACTER THAT I PLAY, TOO SUSAN SARANDON SAYING, "WELL, IT'S ALWAYS MORE FUN TO BE BAD I MEAN, YOU KNOW, REALLY. I MEAN, WHEN YOU'RE NOT BURDENED WITH SINCERITY, IT'S JUST THE BEST. AND TO BE ABLE TO HAVE SOME NICE CLOTHES AND WALK AROUND IN A HOUSE THAT'S THAT DEFINED, THEN YOU REALLY FEEL LIKE YOU'RE PLAYING."
- Reuters ID: LVAAKIP5II8WVBPJJQTHHOI08N18
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES AND FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:01:15
- Story Text: - Oscar-winner Paul Newman is back on the big screen in "Twilight" after a four year hiatus from making films.
A 1940's-style film noir, "Twilight" is directed by Robert Benton, who previously directed Newman to an Oscar nomination in "Nobody's Fool".
Newman, Benton and the film's co-stars Susan Sarandon and Reese Witherspoon attended the film's world premiere in New York last week (February 18).
The film also stars Gene Hackman, James Garner and Stockard Channing.
In his newest role, Newman plays Harry Ross, a retired Los Angeles private investigator who agrees to help his long-time friends, former screen legend Jack Ames (Hackman) and his wife Catherine (Sarandon).
In agreeing to help, Ross quickly becomes embroiled in a complex murder mystery.
Reese Witherspoon plays Jack and Catherine's precocious teenage daughter, while Garner plays another retired detective.Channing plays a police lieutenant investigating the murder.
"Twilight" was originally titled "The Magic Hour" but had to change its name when former basketball champ Magic Johnson took that name for his new television talk show.
The new title refers to the last light of day which is the most fleeting but also the most beautiful.It also describes the time of life of most of the characters in the film.
The film was shot on location around Los Angeles, with the former home of screen legend Delores Del Rio serving as the primary location, doubling for the home of Jack and Catherine Ames.A never-completed Frank Lloyd Wright project in the hills of Malibu served as the locale for the Ames' ranch house in the film.
Newman comes to "Twilight" after a long and varied career in Hollywood.He's been nominated for eight Oscars, received an honourary Oscar in 1985 and won a Best Actor Oscar the following year for his performance opposite Tom Cruise in the Martin Scorsese film "The Colour of Money." The other films he received nominations for are "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," "The Hustler," "Hud," "Cool Hand Luke," "Absence of Malice," "The Verdict," and "Nobody's Fool." Newman is also well-known for his political and social activism.He served as a Connecticut delegate to the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, was a member of the U.S.delegation to the special United Nations session on disarmament and was number 19 on Richard Nixon's infamous enemies list.
His charitable works include the anti-drug campaign he and his wife Joanne Woodward have waged under the auspices of the Scott Newman Foundation, named in honour of their late son.In addition, profits from the "Newman's Own" line of salad dressing, popcorn, spaghetti sauce and lemonade go to charitable and educational causes.
"Twilight" opens throughout the United States on March 6.It opens in Britain in May.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:5th March 1998 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None