- Title: USA: "THE BIG HIT" IS A BIG HIT AT MOVIE THEATRES ACROSS THE UNITED STATES
- Date: 5th April 1998
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (APRIL 5, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) MARK WAHLBERG SAYING, "THAT'S MY WHOLE PLAN, IS TO DO SOMETHING THAT'S TOTALLY OPPOSITE EVERY TIME, YOU KNOW, AND ESPECIALLY AFTER "BOOGIE NIGHTS" IT WAS JUST REALLY EMOTIONALLY DRAINING AND HEAVY AND THIS WAS JUST SO FUN AND LIGHT AND STILL DIFFERENT, AND STILL KIND OF LIKE, YOU KNOW, IN THE SAME IDEA OF "BOOGIE NIGHTS," TRYING TO DO SOMETHING, A FIRST TIME THING, AND TO PUSH THE ENVELOPE, IT WAS IN A TOTALLY OPPOSITE DIRECTION."
- Reuters ID: LVA9HI1RSC10MB1C00ODGX6N0FC2
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES AND FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:27
- Topics: Entertainment
- Story Text: Mark Wahlberg and Lou Diamond Phillips' new film, "The Big Hit", was a big hit at movie theatres across the United States when it opened at the top of the box office.
Wahlberg, most recently of "Boogie Nights" fame, joins Calvin Kline underwear model Antonio Sabato, Jr and Diamond Phillips in this story of a group of hitmen and their exploits in the world of organized crime.
Wahlberg plays Melvin, a beleagured hitman who is drawn into a moonlighting gig that turns sour.At the same time, he's dealing with his money-grubbing mistress, played by Lela Rochon and his demanding fiancee Pam, played by Christina Applegate of "Married With Children" fame and her parents (Elliott Gould and Lainie Kazan).
Mel's professional associates are the ambitious and double-dealing Cisco, played by Phillips, the slightly-dim Vince, played by Sabato and the masturbation-obsessed Crunch, played by newcomer Bokeem Woodbine.
This foursome's efficient and profitable working relationship is threatened when Cisco brings to the group a sideline job: kidnap and hold for ransom a rich industrialist's daughter named Keiko, played by China Chow.
The plan goes smoothly, until they discover Keiko is actually the godchild of their boss, Paris, played by Avery Brooks.When Cisco finds out, he sets up Melvin as the mastermind of the plan and the target of Paris' brutal rage.
"The Big Hit" is directed by Che-Kirk Wong and produced by Wesley Snipes.Wong is another in a long line of Hong Kong filmmakers to establish an international reputation as an innovative action director.
He was attracted to the project because of its unique blend of action and comedy.
John Woo, who earlier established himself at the forefront of the Hong Kong action film avent-garde, serves as the Executive Producer of the film.Woo has directed several successful films in America in recent years, including "Face Off," "Broken Arrow" and "Hard Target." Wahlberg has successfully transitioned from being a rapper to an underwear model for Calvin Kline to being a highly-respected actor, largely due to his work in the Oscar-nominated drama "Boogie Nights." His other film work includes "The Basketball Diaries" with Leonard DiCaprio and Penny Marshall's comedy "Renaissance Man." This is Antonio Sabato Junior's first big screen role since his international stardom as Wahlberg's successor as the Calvin Kline underwear model.He briefly joined the cast of "Melrose Place" in 1995, playing Heather Locklear's long-lost husband.He first broke into acting by playing Jagger on daytime television's "General Hospital." Lou Diamond Phillips recently received critical acclaim for his role in the military drama "Courage Under Fire" with Meg Ryan and Denzel Washington.Prior to that, Phillips fulfilled a lifelong acting dream when he took to the stage in the Broadway production of the classic musical, "The King and I." Since opeing in 1996, the production has garnered six Tony nominations, including a Best Actor nomination for Phillips.
Christina Applegate's claim to fame are her eleven seasons on the hit television situation comedy "Married With Children." Her other film credits include small parts in the films "Wild Bill," "Across the Moon" and a cameo appearance in Tim Burton's "Mars Attacks." "The Big Hit" surpassed even Tristar Pictures' expectations when it opened in the number one position at the United States box office, earning eleven million dollars and knocking Nicolas Cage's other-worldly romance "City of Angels" from the top spot.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:20th April 1998 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None