UNITED KINGDOM:" SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER" MAKES IT TO THE LONDON STAGE STARRING ADAM GARCIARecord ID: 387525
- Title: UNITED KINGDOM:" SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER" MAKES IT TO THE LONDON STAGE STARRING ADAM GARCIA
- Date: 5th May 1998
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (MAY 5, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) ( ** BEWARE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **) EXTERIOR OF LONDON'S PALLADIUM THEATRE WITH SIGN FOR NEW MUSICAL "SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER" CLOSE UP SIGN FOR "SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER" CROWDS MILLING OUTSIDE THEATRE MAURICE GIBB OF BEE GEES ARRIVING ROBIN GIBB OF BEE GEES ARRIVING AND GREETING MOLLY MELDRUM BARRY GIBB OF BEE GEES ARRIVING, GREETING MOLLY MELDRUM SARAH FERGUSON, DUCHESS OF YORK ARRIVING WITH SHOW CREATOR ROBERT STIGWOOD
- Reuters ID: LVATF03HMZXL7226LZTTIBPNHF2
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:01:39
- Story Text: out the white, polyester flares, expose that hairy chest and shine up the gleaming medallion.
The 70's came back to London on Tuesday (May 5) when 21 years after the film made John Travolta a legend on the dance floor, "Saturday Night Fever" made it to the West End stage.
Australian Adam Garcia is hoping his leading role in the new four million pound musical will have the same effect on his career.
Garcia steps into the role of the hip-swivelling Tony Manero, the character made famous on celluoid by Travolata.
Robert Stigwood, who produced the film version, is bringing "Saturday Night Fever" to the stage.
In this adaptation, cast members, which include Garcia's compatriot Anita Louise Combe as Stephanie, will focus on the dance side of the story.
The film score, made famous by the Bee Gees, includes the hits "Stayin' Alive", "Night Fever", "How Deep is Your Love", "Jive Talking" and "You Should be Dancing".
Those legendary songs will be sung live for the first time as "Saturday Night Fever" makes its transition to the stage.
Two new songs, "Immortality" and "First and Last", also penned by the Bee Gees, were written specifically for this production.
The brothers Gibb -- Barry, Maurice and Robin -- lent their support to the stage version by attending the first night.
Barry credited the show's appeal to the era, saying, "It was a great period and it was great fun...that's why people want to see that kind of thing." Maurice said the songs had been adapted perfectly to the stage.
The show's 36-strong cast also includes Tara Wilkinson as Annette and Simon Grieff as Bobby C.
"Saturday Night Fever" tells the story of Tony Manero, an Italian-American who works in a hardware store packing paint by day but lives to dance at the Odyssey 2001 disco with his true love, Annette.
Directed and choreographed by Arlene Phillips, the show also was given almost royal approval by Britain's Duchess of York.
Chaperoned by Robert Stigwood at the first night party after the show, Fergie proclaimed the show "superb".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:20th May 1998 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None