- Title: USA: JAMIE LEE CURTIS ATTENDS THE WORLD PREMIERE OF "HALLOWEEN H20"
- Date: 11th July 1998
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JULY 11) (RTV-ACCESS ALL) JAMIE LEE CURTIS SAYING, (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) "HAVING MY MOM WAS A WAY, TO BE HONEST, WAS REALLY A, YOU KNOW, BOTH OF US HAVE HAD A VERY SUCCESSFUL CAREER, AND BOTH OF US HAVE HAD CAREERS THAT THE PINNCLE OF THEM ARE A HORROR MOVIE. AND, I THINK IT WAS BOTH OF OUR WAYS OF REALLY KINDA TIPPING OUR HAT, OF SAYING THANK YOU TO AN AUDIENCE, TO A FAN BASE THAT HAS BEEN VERY SUPPORTIVE OVER THE YEARS AND, YOU KNOW, WOULD I PREFER TO HAVE BEEN FAMOUS FOR SMALL INTIMATE DRAMAS? PERHAPS, BECAUSE MAYBE THAT'S MY BENT, THAT'S WHAT I'M ATTRACTED TO, BUT THIS IS MY WORLD, THIS IS THE PEOPLE THAT MADE ME FAMOUS, THIS IS THE PEOPLE WHO GAVE ME EVERYTHING GOOD IN MY LIFE, BESIDES MY CHILDREN AND YOU KNOW, THIS IS FOR THEM, THIS IS ONE FOR THEM." LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JULY 27) (RTV-ACCESS ALL) JAMIE LEE CURTIS ARRIVES AT PREMIERE MEDIA CUTAWAY JAMIE LEE CURTIS AND HER MOTHER, JANET LEIGH POSING FOR PHOTOS JAMIE LEE CURTIS AND JANET LEIGH SPEAKING WITH MEDIA JAMIE LEE CURTIS SPEAKING WITH MEDIA PHOTOGRAPHERS JANET LEIGH TALKING ABOUT JAMIE LEE GETTING "HALLOWEEN" ROLE 20 YEARS AGO, SAYING, (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) "WELL, IT WAS LIKE WE'D ALL DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN BECAUSE IT WAS HER FIRST FEATURE AND YOU KNOW, AND SHE WAS, AND IT WAS A BIG PART, I MEAN, THE WHOLE THING FALLS ON HER SHOULDERS AND IT, FOR A FIRST PICTURE, THAT WAS REALLY SOMETHING, SO WE WERE JUST HIGHER THAN A KITE, I MEAN, WE WERE FLYING." (ENGLISH) JAMIE LEE CURTIS SAYING, (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) "IT'S A PRIVILEGE FOR ME TO STAND HERE ON A RED CARPET AND LOOK OVER AND SEE MY MOTHER OF 71 YEARS LOOK LIKE THAT, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. THAT'S JUST AN AMAZING TREAT FOR ME." CAMERA CUTAWAY JAMIE LEE CURTIS SAYING, (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) "NO, THIS IS A CURIO. THIS IS ONE OF THOSE WEIRD THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN YOUR LIFE, YOU KNOW? I MEAN, MOST PEOPLE GO TO THE PROM AND THEIR PARENTS COME AND CHAPERON. I'M GOING TO A MOVIE PREMIERE AND MY MOM'S MY CHAPERON, HOW COOL IS THAT?" JAMIE LEE CURTIS' DAD, TONY CURTIS AT PREMIERE
- Embargoed: 26th July 1998 13:00
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES AND FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA7FHIBSGB73ANPU2N34TVVLNKR
- Story Text: It's been twenty years since she established herself as the "scream queen" of Hollywood.But after countless refusals to ever play in a slasher film again, Jamie Lee Curtis showed up Monday, (July 27) in Los Angeles at the World Premiere of "Halloween H20," yet another sequel to the 1978 John Carpenter horror classic that made Curtis a star.
The new film takes place twenty years after the original ended.And Jamie Lee Curtis returns as Laurie Strode, who is still struggling to put her past behind her.
The past she's trying to escape is, of course, the murderous rampage of her deranged brother, Michael Myers.
Michael killed her sister and then came after her, brutally slashing everyone close to her in the process.
In the new film, Michael's back with a vengeance.In the way are a small band of students, who have ditched the school camping trip to have their own Halloween fun.
This is when the blood starts flowing once again.
The original "Halloween" established Curtis as the "scream queen" of Hollywood, and film-maker John Carpenter as one of the leading directors of horror and suspense.It cost only 300 thousand dollars to make, took 22 days to shoot, and went on to be one of the most popular horror movies of all time.
Several vastly inferior sequels came in between the original and this newest installment, only one of which starred Jamie Lee Curtis.
Not long after finishing work on "Halloween 2," Curtis swore she would not do any more slasher films.
Finally she broke free of the "scream queen" moniker with starring roles in films such as "A Fish Called Wanda" and"True Lies," for which she won a Golden Globe award.
But when she realized the 20th anniversary of the original "Halloween" was coming up, she set in motion a plan to make a quality sequel.
The film's director, Steve Miner jumped at the chance to get the star of his favorite horror film, "Psycho" to play a part in his new movie.He cast Curtis' real life mother, actress Janet Leigh, in a small role in "Halloween H20." Leigh is best known for her role in Alfred Hithcock's classic thriller, "Psycho" -- and, more specifically her untimely demise in the shower of the Bates' Motel.
"Halloween H20" will be released in theatres throughout the United States on Friday, August 5.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None