- Title: ARGENTINA: Argentines make the world's longest apple tart
- Date: 28th November 2011
- Summary: VARIOUS OF APPLE TART LINED UP ON SCHOOL BENCHES DOWN A CITY STREET APPLE TART LINED UP FOR BLOCKS EVENT ORGANIZER, MARICARMEN GARCIA PUTTING SECTIONS OF TART TOGETHER (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) EVENT ORGANIZER, MARI CARMEN GARCIA SAYING: "We are from a city that produces apples in the high valley (Rio Negro province), Cinco Saltos. This is the third time we have made this tart. It is the longest tart in the world but this time on the longest avenue in the world. We are happy to bring the tart here to the people of Buenos Aires for them to try. It is exquisite. It is home made and we are promoting that we have the best apples in the world." VARIOUS OF TART BEING MEASURED VARIOUS OF TART MAKERS CELEBRATING BREAKING THE WORLD RECORD AS THE TART IS MEASURED AT 303 METERS AND THE AUDIENCE APPLAUDING VARIOUS OF TART BEING CUT
- Embargoed: 13th December 2011 12:00
- Location: Argentina, Argentina
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVAU8PDIUBZGYYSEH831LCKMJPS
- Story Text: A group of enthusiastic apple tart makers made the world's longest apple pie Sunday (November 27) in Buenos Aires.
Excited participants took sections of the tart out of bakery trucks parked along Rivadavia Avenue, the world's longest avenue, assembling them end to end.
The pie measured 303 meters long (984 ft) and was made to benefit those who suffer from celiac disease. People with celiac are limited to eating a gluten free diet. 100 meters (328 ft) of the pie was made gluten free.
The event's organizer also wanted to draw attention to what they think are the world's most delicious apples.
"It is the longest tart in the world but this time on the longest avenue in the world," said Maricarmen Garcia the event organizer.
"We are happy to bring the tart here to the people of Buenos Aires for them to try. It is exquisite. It is home made and we are promoting that we have the best apples in the world."
For the third year in a row, the group of pie lovers hailing from Cinco Saltos, Argentina coordinated their efforts to produce the tasty tart which served an estimated twenty four thousand people.
Last year's tart was 297 meters long (974 ft).
Twenty thousand apples were used for the endeavor as were three hundred and sixty seven dozen eggs, over a thousand kilos of flour, one thousand seven hundred pounds of butter and sugar to make the pastry.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None