- Title: ARGENTINA - TENNIS: Argentina announces team for Davis Cup tennis tournament
- Date: 19th November 2011
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (NOVEMBER 18, 2011) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) VAZQUEZ, SAYING: "David [Nalbandian] has started to train with Caio. He is recuperating well and is very enthusiastic. He has decided to go to Unquillo to continue with his training. We are waiting. As for the rest of the players, they have already started training."
- Embargoed: 4th December 2011 12:00
- Location: Argentina
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA1HIKYLX9W8T62Z0P8ENXXKCS6
- Story Text: Argentina surprised nobody by naming Juan Martin del Potro, David Nalbandian, Juan Monaco, Juan Ignacio Chela and doubles specialist Eduardo Schwank on Friday (November 18) as their provisional team for the Davis Cup final against Spain in December.
The vice-president of the Argentine Tennis Association (ATT), Hector Romani, made the announcement at a news conference in Buenos Aires.
"The players are Juan Martin del Potro, David Nalbandian, Juan Ignacio Chela, Eduardo Schwank, Juan Monaco and, for sparring, Facundo Bagnis," said Romani.
Captain Modesto Vazquez said Del Potro was hard at work in preparation and said he felt the player was among the top five in the world, even though his official ranking has plummeted following a wrist injury.
"Juan Martin [del Potro] is training double time, full out. He is concentrating on the cup. He is a type of guy that the team respects. He is not just a top-ten player, he is, for me without doubt, a top-five player. He is an incentive for the team and for Argentina's future. Because here there have been good players for sometime," said Vazquez.
Argentina, in their fourth final and third since 2006, are the underdogs against the four-times champions.
Vazquez told journalists that Nalbandian had started training with coach Ricardo Rivera, nicknamed Caio, but had decided to continue the preparation in his hometown Unquillo, in the province of Cordoba, central Argentina.
"David [Nalbandian] has started to train with Caio. He is recuperating well and is very enthusiastic. He has decided to go to Unquillo to continue with his training. We are waiting. As for the rest of the players, they have already started training," said Vazquez.
The three finals Argentina have played and lost included the only one at home, in 2008, when an injury to Del Potro and internal squabbles undermined their chances when they were favourites against a Spanish team without Rafael Nadal.
Vazquez said that Nadal was a huge asset to his competitors, but felt the team was still in with a chance.
"We know that Nadal is a tough nut. He is a player that also has his fears, but, yes, he is useful for his team. He is a motivator, he is a good team player and that makes the Spanish team have more importance than if he wasn't in the team. But from day one, we are in the conversation. We are at least one to one. We have a real chance to fight for the trophy," said Vazquez.
Vazquez must name his official quartet next Tuesday (November 22) for the December final on a new clay court in Seville with Schwank the most likely player to be dropped, although Vazquez made no commitment at a news conference in Buenos Aires.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None