- Title: ARGENTINA: ANOTHER VERSION OF EVA PERON'S LIFE IS FILMED IN ARGENTINA
- Date: 22nd August 1996
- Summary: FILMING OF BALCONY SCENE (RECENT - MARCH 1996) MADONNA PERFORMING BALCONY SCENE
- Embargoed: 6th September 1996 13:00
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Reuters ID: LVA8BB1RHLRJ34540FS0G1ZEJW6Q
- Story Text: After Alan Parker's controversial movie "Evita", another film about the radio starlette-turned-politician is in the offing, this time by an Argentine director.
Juan Carlos Desanzo's new project has been referred to as the "official version" of Eva Peron's life, a rival to Parker's vision of the Argentine figurehead, portrayed in his film by Madonna.
Just as Parker had done before, Desanzo filmed a scenefrom the real-life Vice President's balcony.
In the 1950s, Eva Peron joined her husband on the highly symbolic Casa Rosada balcony and made the historical address saying she would not run for vice-president because she was dying of cancer.
The latest film, which the Argentine director began a month ago, will focus on the last two years of Eva Peron's life and the ultimate frustration of Evita's bid for the vice-presidency.
Argentine film and theatre star Victor Laplace plays the role of Juan Domingo Peron and Esther Goris takes on Evita, who won the lasting adulation of Argentine workers by taking up the cause of the poor and dispossessed. She died of cancer in 1952, aged just 33.
Parker's version was dogged by critics who feared that the image of Evita, a patron saint for some, would be tainted by the casting of a U.S. pop-icon.
Desanzo's film will open on October 17, ahead of Parker's which is expected for the end of the year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.