- Title: ARGENTINA: ARGENTINA BEATS IRELAND 3-1 IN FRIENDLY MATCH.
- Date: 22nd April 1978
- Summary: 1. GV: Ireland in dark shirts and light shorts (playing right to left) kick off. with some midfield play. 0.34 2. SV: linesman watches as Argentina attack and Houseman pushes ball through, allowing Luque to score. 0.45 3. GV: crowd cheer as Argentina take corner kick and almost score (3 shots) 0.56 4. GV: (SECOND HALF) Argentina kick off with general play in midfield. 1.15 5. GV: Argentina attack with Houseman beating three Ireland defenders and crossing ball to Ortiz who chests ball down, turns, and hits ball on the volley to score Argentina's second goal, with crowd cheering. 1.33 6. GV: Argentina attack and ball is crossed in to centre, allowing Villa to score Argentina's third goal. 1.50 7. GV: crowd cheering 1.54 8. GV: referee blows whistle for full time. 2.00 Initials RH/1755 SPORT: SOCCER Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 7th May 1978 13:00
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Reuters ID: LVA66GUT8TBPD76N66EMFTTHXSNE
- Story Text: Soccer....and Argentina has won its fifth consecutive match in a month of warm-up games for the World Cup in June. This time they defeated Ireland three goals to one.
SYNOPSIS: Ireland, in the dark shirts, seemed overwhelmed by the Argentine team who outplayed them all over the field. The Irish attack was poorly coordinated, reflecting the absence of key players who could not go to Argentina because of league commitments in England.
The first of Argentina's goals was scored in the 15th minute by Luque who slammed it past the Irish goalie, Paterson.
In fact, Paterson was one of the busiest men on the field in the light of the heavy Argentine attack.
The second half. Argentina is growing confident with its series of wins. So far this month they've beaten Peru twice, and have also defeated Bulgaria and Rumania.
One minute into the second half Houseman swept past three defenders and slipped a pass to Ortiz who put it away with an amazing gymnastic shot.
Argentina's third goal came from a cross to Villa.
Ireland's only goal came in the last minutes of the game, alas, too little and too late.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None