- Title: ARGENTINA: PAKISTAN AND AUSTRALIA EMERGE AS WORLD CUP POWERS.
- Date: 30th March 1978
- Summary: 1. GV: Australia, in darker shirts, playing right to left, bully off against West Germany. 0.05 2. GV: Play in front of German goal...Australia attacking. 0.14 3. GV: Crowd watch as Australia takes short corner and scores. (2 SHOTS) 0.22 4. GV: Crowd applaud. 0.24 5. GV: Australia scoring second goal and crowd cheer. (2 SHOTS) 0.30 6. GV: Australia attack, awarded a short corner. 0.37 7. GV: Australia score from short corner, applause. 0.43 8. GV: Scoreboard, three-nil. 0.48 9. GV: Crowd watches Germany attack. (2 SHOTS) 0.53 10. GV: Germany score from short corner. 1.01 11. GV: Crowd watch as Germany score from short corner in second half. (3 SHOTS) 1.10 12. GV: Pakistan wearing dark shirts and white shorts, playing left to right, bully off against Spain...Pakistan launch attack. 1.28 13. GV: Crowd watch as Pakistan score first goal. 1.36 14. GV: Scoreboard. 1.38 15. GV: Spain taking long corner...Spain shoots wide. 1.47 16. GV: Crowd watch as Pakistan attack and score goal. (3 SHOTS) 2.00 Initials JS/2400 SPORT: HOCKEY Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 14th April 1978 13:00
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Reuters ID: LVAEHF620RA9047PX248KA2Q074K
- Story Text: Hockey...and the World Cup Series in Buenos Aires is drawing to a close, with Pakistan and Australia in the favoured places. Two of the most important matches to decide the semi-finalists were played on Tuesday and Wednesday (28 & 29 March). Australia beat West Germany three-two, and Pakistan defeated Spain two-one.
SYNOPSIS: Australia, in the darker shirts and playing right to left, were dominant from the start in the match against West Germany. The Australians went into attack from the first minutes, and played a fast, aggressive game. In the thirteenth minute, Australia took a short corner, and Ian Cooke shot truly for a goal.
Only two minutes later, Rowan Dick scored another goal for Australia to run up a two-nil lead. The Australians, elated by their quick early scoring, went back into attack, and were awarded another short corner in the eighteenth minute. Ian Cooke shoots for goal, and scores again. The score: Australia three, West Germany nil.
Towards half-time, the West Germans at last showed signs of recovering. From a short corner, the West Germans attack, and Wolfgang Strodter scores his side's first goal. The only other goal of the match was in the second half, when another short corner brought West Germany's second goal.
The major game was between Pakistan, playing left to right, and Spain. The Pakistanis have been the stars of the World Cup series, and have yet to be beaten. It has been with attacks like this that Pakistan has established its apparently unassailable position in this year's series.
Spain managed two goals in the match, but not enough to beat the dominant Pakistanis, who were firm favourites to win the series with their swift and fluent play. In the semi-finals, Pakistan will now meet West Germany, and Australia will meet Holand.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None