- Title: Argentina: World Record Goal Scorer
- Date: 16th June 1978
- Summary: Just Fontaine of France with the Golden Shore and the Golden Ball. Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 1st July 1978 13:00
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINE
- Country: Argentina
- Reuters ID: LVA7I9OGE30V0K54XVNXTFIAW4GQ
- Story Text: Although several milestones have been passed in the 1978 World Cup competition, one record that looks like standing is the 13 goal tally of just Fontaine of France, scored in Sweden in 1985.
With the general accent on tight defensive play, there seems little possibility that Fontaine's feat will ever be repeated. Unless, of course, another Pele comes over the horizon.
Fontaine is currently in Buenos Aires to watch the progress of the World Cup. Although he has had the disappointment of watching his national team leave after the first round, he does at least have the satisfaction of knowing that they have scored the fastest goal in the current competition in their match with Italy.
In the 1978 competition, there is an additional incentive for the top goal scorer. At the end of the tournament, he will be presented with a Golden Shoe to commemorate his success.
And to ensure that goal-scoring is not the only criteria by which players are judged, a Golden Ball will be presented to the player who is judged to be the outstanding individual of the tournament. Both the shoe and the ball have been dipped in gold, and will provide a unique memento of a unique occasion.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None