- Title: ARGENTINA: NEW ZEALAND DEFEATS PUMAS 33-20.
- Date: 28th October 1985
- Summary: 1. GVs Argentina score with Porta penalty (2 shots) 0.09 2. GVs Argentina possession, then general punch-up 0.33 3. GV All-Blacks lose possession, Argentina break upfield and Juan Lanza scores try in corner 1.01 4. GV Argentine try in the corner by Diego Cuesta Silva 1.17 5. GV Argentine break, All-black intercepts, move all the way upfield for Kieran Crowley to score in the corner 1.39 6. GV All-Blacks break near line for John Kirwan to go over in corner 1.44 7. GV Final whistle blows 1.55 InitialsASG/PG/BB SPORT: RUGBY UNION Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 12th November 1985 12:00
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVADI3EJH24XVV4RVI1HFBWY07H7
- Story Text: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
New Zealand's All-Blacks rugby team surged ahead in the final minutes on October 26 to defeat Pumas of Argentina in a bruising rugby match punctuated by frequent fist fights. Kieran Crowley was a one-man scoring machine, with 18 points for New Zealand, starting with a penalty kick and then converted a try by John Kirwan to put the All-Blacks 9-0 up after six minutes. The Pumas' Hugo Porta kicked a penalty, and Juan Lanza then scored a unconverted try to trim New Zealand's lead. Argentina had its only lead in the game after 20 minutes when Porta dropped a goal making it 10-9. The All-Blacks regained their lead thanks to a drop by Grant Fox, and Crowley made the score 15-0 with a penalty after 32 minutes. Just before half-time, Diego Cuesta Silva went over for the Argentines' second try, but Porta missed the conversion to leave the All-Blacks ahead 15-14 at the end of the period. Porta, the highest Argentine scorer with 12 points, and Crowley kicked two penalties apiece to make the score 21-20. However, with 20 minutes left, play finally opened up and the New Zealanders surged ahead with unconverted tries by Crowley after 29 minutes, Kirwan after 52 and Hobbs after 37 to make the final score 33-20. The match was marked with hard tackling on both sides which made open play difficult. The two teams play each other again on November 3 in Buenos Aires.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - HECTOR LOPEZ</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None