- Title: Dozens killed in double suicide attack in Syrian capital
- Date: 15th March 2017
- Summary: BLOOD STAIN / DEBRIS SHOE / BLOOD STAIN
- Embargoed: 29th March 2017 15:47
- Keywords: Syria blast suicide attack damascus court old city
- Location: DAMASCUS, SYRIA
- City: DAMASCUS, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA004682NLTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC MATERIAL
Two suicide bomb attacks killed at least 31 people and wounded dozens more in Damascus on Wednesday (March 15), state media reported, in the second such spate of bombings in the Syrian capital in five days.
The first suicide bomber targeted the Palace of Justice, the main courthouse in central Damascus near the Old City.
Justice Minister Najem al-Ahmad told reporters the initial death toll was at least 31, mostly civilians.
The bomber set off his explosive device at 1:20 p.m. (1120 GMT) as the police tried to search him and stop him from entering the building, state television cited the Damascus police chief as saying.
Blood stains were visible on the floor of the courthouse as soldiers examined the blast site.
A second suicide blast struck a popular restaurant in the al-Rabweh area of Damascus to the west of the courthouse causing several casualties, state media reported.
State news agency SANA cited the Damascus police as saying that there were 102 injured in the courthouse attack and 28 injured in the restaurant.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None