- Title: PARAGUAY: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov visits Paraguay
- Date: 14th September 2007
- Summary: (BN01) ASUNCION, PARAGUAY (SEPTEMBER 13, 2007) (REUTERS) PLANE CARRYING RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER SERGEI LAVROV ARRIVING IN PARAGUAY RUSSIAN PLANE ARRIVING RUSSIAN DELEGATION WAITING PARAGUAYAN JOURNALISTS RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER SERGEI LAVROV DISEMBARKING FROM PLANE SOLDIERS SALUTING LAVROV (SOUNDBITE) (English) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "It's historic. It's the first ever official visit of a Russian Foreign Minister to Paraguay, though the relations have much deeper history. The presidents of Paraguay and Russian emperors were exchanging letters since the middle of nineteen century. And I'm glad that 15 years ago, the diplomatic relations were re-established, and I look forward to discussing practical things: how we can promote trade, economy, investment and our political dialogue, including also humanitarian issues, because quite a number of Russians found their second motherland in Paraguay." LAVROV WALKING TO CAR WITH PARAGUAYAN DELEGATION CAR WITH RUSSIAN FLAG DRIVING AWAY
- Embargoed: 29th September 2007 13:00
- Location: Paraguay
- Country: Paraguay
- Topics: International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVA1IIBN4OK0XIGLE8FUDB76DJKK
- Story Text: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov met with Paraguayan President Nicanor Duarte on Thursday (September 13) in the capital city of Asuncion.
Lavrov said the meeting was the first official visit of a Russian Foreign Minister to Paraguay, and said he expected to discuss a varied agenda.
"I look forward to discussing practical things: how we can promote trade, economy, investment and our political dialogue, including also humanitarian issues, because quite a number of Russians found their second motherland in Paraguay," he told reporters as he disembarked from the plane.
The visit is his last stop on his three-day South America tour. Lavrov visited Peru on Monday (September 10) and went to neighbouring Uruguay on Wednesday (September 12).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None