- Title: PARAGUAY: Paraguay registers one case of love resulting from flu outbreak
- Date: 9th May 2009
- Summary: MUSICIANS WAITING IN HOTEL LOBBY
- Embargoed: 24th May 2009 13:00
- Location: Paraguay
- Country: Paraguay
- Topics: Health,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVADZ7MVIQN9MH73P7K6MDKEZ0IP
- Story Text: Love in the time of H1N1 in Paraguay as romance blossoms for stranded Mexican musician.
At least one member of a Mexican band has taken advantage of his time while trapped in the Paraguayan capital of Asuncion after flights to Mexico were suspended because of the H1N1 virus.
Paco Cadenas, one of the 20 members of the cumbia band Los Angeles de Charly who are on an unexpectedly lengthy stay in Asuncion, has a new Paraguayan girlfriend.
Like many Latin American nations, Paraguay and neighbouring Argentina suspended most flights to Mexico, the epicenter of the flu outbreak where 44 people have died.
The popular band was slated to return to Mexico on Sunday, but found themselves reading newspapers and hanging around the lobby of their hotel in downtown Asuncion on Wednesday (May 06).
Lead singer Carlos Becies said the band would head home as soon as it could.
"We have the ticket and everything but there aren't any flights. Everything is closed down. When they tell us we can go we will go," he said.
The new virus already forced the band to cancel a scheduled tour through Mexico.
But back-up singer Fernando Becies said the situation was working out, at least for Cadenas.
"Some of us are watching television, following the news and what the WHO and the different governments are saying about this problem, just waiting. Others are sightseeing, buying souvenirs and there's even one that got a girlfriend," he said.
Cadenas was seen hugging and walking hand-in-hand with his new Paraguayan girlfriend Romina Medina, among the few who has anything good to say about the flu outbreak.
"This flu in Mexico was good for me because they stayed longer in Paraguay and I got to know him better," Medina said.
The band performed on a local television show and are playing other gigs in Asuncion to make up for the lost revenue from missing their tour in Mexico.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None