- Title: UKRAINE-ODESSA/NAVY PARADE Ukraine holds navy parade in port city of Odessa
- Date: 24th August 2014
- Summary: ODESSA, UKRAINE (AUGUST 24, 2014) (REUTERS) UKRAINIAN FLAG WAVING IN BACKGROUND OF SAILORS VARIOUS OF UKRAINIAN NAVAL FORCES SHIPS AUDIENCE
- Embargoed: 8th September 2014 13:00
- Location: Ukraine
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA9VV0QIEG8EQM57P9LJ4QHJ7D4
- Story Text: Twenty naval vessels staged a display in the southern port city of Odessa on Sunday (August 24) as part of national day celebrations.
The navy previously held naval ceremonies in the Crimean port of Sevastopol, but has had to relocate since the peninsula was annexed by Russia in March.
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko attended the navy parade in Odessa after hosting a military parade in the country's capital Kiev earlier on Sunday.
In a brief address to the public, as rain beat down on the crowds, Poroshenko said vowed the navy would remain a key part of Ukraine's defence.
"Ukraine was, is and will be a naval state. The guarantor of restoration and prosperity of the Ukrainian Naval Forces will be the technical renovation as well as real Ukrainian patriotic military spirit which are the most important component."
Sunday's heady mix of patriotism and military display appeared to underscore a new confidence in the Ukrainian leadership that the war was going their way.
Ukraine declared its independence from a collapsing Soviet Union on August 25, 1991, but many Ukrainians believe Moscow has never truly let it function as a sovereign state, and is now trying to restore its control.
Russia denies helping the rebellion, or trying to intervene in Ukraine's internal affairs.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.