- Title: SPAIN-KING/MILITARY PARADE First military parade for Spain's new King
- Date: 12th October 2014
- Summary: VARIOUS OF ROYAL FAMILY LEAVING
- Embargoed: 27th October 2014 12:00
- Location: Spain
- Country: Spain
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA3EAWGEIFV2EV40M58O8VXP854
- Story Text: For the first time since his reign began, Spain's King Felipe VI presided over an annual military parade to celebrate the country's National Day on Sunday (October 12).
Forty-six-year-old Felipe, wearing military uniform with a sash and medals, was accompanied by his wife Letizia, their two daughters, and members of the Spanish government.
Thousands of people lined the route waving Spanish flags celebrating the day explorer Christopher Columbus sighted land on his first trip west.
Fifty-two aircraft took part in an exhibition flyover to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Spanish Air Force.
The flyover returned after a suspension in recent years, due to austerity budgets.
Felipe VI became king in June after his father, Juan Carlos, abdicated following a series of scandals that had led many Spaniards to question the role of the monarchy itself.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None