- Title: HONG KONG: HONG KONG DRAWS 1-1 WITH PARAGUAY.
- Date: 15th February 1986
- Summary: HONG KONG V. PARAGUAY: (HONG KONG IN BLUE AND WHITE): 1. SVs Hongkong attack; after 16 minutes Paraguayan defender Juan Torales his ball into own net after shot by HongKong centre- forward John Paskin. Crowd applauds (2 shots) 0.22 2. SVs Paraguay's Rogelio Delgado runs in on blind side to score with header in 33rd minute (2 shots) 0.31 3. GV Scoreboard showing 1-1 0.34 4. GVs In 55th minute Paraguay forward upended in penalty box, carried off injured. Adolfino Canete shot wide from spot (4 shots) 1.06 InitialsASG/BB SPORT: SOCCER Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 2nd March 1986 12:00
- Location: HONG KONG
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVABCYQ69TL2W864YEDMIFOH7VJJ
- Story Text: HONG KONG
Hong Kong drew 1-1 with World Cup finalists Paraguay in the Chinese New Year Football Tournament in Hong Kong on February 13. The South American side was considerably under strength, with at least five of their best foreign-based players not available for the match. The gruelling 24-hour journey to Hong Kong the day before obviously took its toll on the Paraguay team. Sixteen minutes into the game, Juan Torales, attempting to save a shot from the home side's South African centre-forward John Paskin, deflected the ball, which had been going wide of the goal, into his own net. The shock spurred Paraguay into immediate action, with Isidro Sandoval and Francisco Alcaraj leading spirited attacks. The equalising goal came in the 33rd minute after a free kick given just outside the area. Vladimir Schetina clipped the ball to the post, where Ramon Hicks expertly back-headed it over the defence of Paraguayan skipper Rogelio Delgado, who ran behind the defence and sent a powerful header into the goalmouth. Paraguay's chance to win came in the 52nd minute when Yu Kwok-sum brought down Ramon Hicks, but Adolfino Canete's shot put the ball wide of the post. The visitors were scheduled to play South Korea on February 16. The South Koreans defeated Hong Kong 2-0 in the previous week.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - GARY LING</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None