- Title: USA: NEW YORK PREPARES FOR MACY'S ANNUAL THANKSGIVING PARADE.
- Date: 26th November 1998
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 25, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV: VARIOUS OF PREPARATIONS FOR MACY'S THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE 0.05 2. GV: WORKERS PUMPING HELIUM INTO BALLOON THAT LOOKS LIKE "BABE THE PIG 0.15 3. MV/ZOOM/GV: CLOSE VIEW WORKERS WITH PIG BALLOON 0.26 4. CU: CHILD WITH CAMERA 0.32 5. CU: (SOUNDBITE) (English) Ronnie Taffet, Macy's spokesperson telling Reuters what the parade is about: "Children. It's a holiday celebration for children of all ages and its family and togetherness, and just warm and fuzzy feelings." 0.46 6. GV: PIG BALLOON SEMI-INFLATED 0.51 7. MV/CU: WORKERS INFLATING PIG BALLOON (2 SHOTS) 1.02 8. TRACK: WALKING SHOT OF CHILDREN AND ADULTS VIEWING THE PARADE PREPARATIONS 1.16 9. GV/MV: VARIOUS VIEWS OF BIG BALLOON (2 SHOTS) 1.30 10. MCU: TWO CHILDREN WATCHING 1.35 NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 11. MV/GV: HIGHLIGHTS OF 1997 MACY'S THANKSGIVING PARADE (4 SHOTS) 2.00 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 11th December 1998 12:00
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA8R5HH38RYENQVH7V2NES3A5X7
- Story Text: New York City is preparing for the annual Macy's
Thanksgiving Day Parade on Thursday (November 26).The parade
of celebrities, musicians and cartoon characters marks the
American holiday of Thanksgiving while capturing the attention
of young and old.
The traditional Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade will
kick off Thursday morning (November 29) for the 72nd time.
Thousands of onlookers are expected to line the streets for
a good view the festivities.Others will view the parade from
windows of apartments along the route.For everybody else, the
parade can be seen on network television.
On the eve of the parade, people gather to watch the
balloons as they are inflated.This was the scene Wednesday
evening (November 25), as one of the new additions to the cast
of characters in the parade was just beginning to take shape.
"Babe" the pig made famous in a movie began to take shape as
workers pumped helium into the balloon.They will tie it to
the earth until take-off time Thanksgiving morning.
Macy's spokeswoman Ronnie Taffet told Reuters children are
what the parade is all about.She said "It's a holiday
celebration for children of all ages and its family and
togetherness, and just warm and fuzzy feelings."
This year's parade will have more than 30 balloons, 18
floats and a dozen marching bands.
The weather is expected to bring rain and wind gusts of up
to 20 mile per hour.Precautions have been taken to prevent
further accidents.Last year, strong winds caused a balloon to
careen out of control and hit a lamp post, which fell and
seriously injured a spectator.
Macy's, a major New York City department store, began
sponsoring the parade in 1924, although some years were missed
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None