- Title: INDONESIA: COLOURFUL INDEPENDENCE DAY PARADE TAKES PLACE IN JAKARTA
- Date: 20th August 1990
- Summary: JAKARTA, INDONESIA (AUGUST 19) (DANA SAELAN, VISNEWS) 1. GV PARADE FLOATS AND PEOPLE WATCHING 0.05 2. GV SAMPOERNA BAND PLAYING 0.12 3. SV PAN MYTHICAL BEAST ON FLOAT 0.24 4. SV LITTLE BOY WATCHING PARADE 0.29 5. SCU AND SV REPTILES ON FLOAT (2 SHOTS) 0.44 6. SV CROWD WATCHING PARADE 0.50 7. SV PAN PEOPLE IN COLOURED COSTUMES WALKING BEHIND BAND 0.56 8. SV PAN PEOPLE RIDING ON FLOATS 1.00 9. GV TRAIN FLOAT DRIVING BY 1.06 10. GV PARADE SITE WITH BUILDING IN BACKGROUND 1.10 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 4th September 1990 13:00
- Location: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA3RW46ESHCOXQXWALW0256V6V5
- Story Text: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
Thousands of people celebrated the 45th anniversary of Indonesian independence at a colourful parade in Jakarta on Sunday (August 19).President Suharto used the occasion to reiterate his governments' commitment to human rights.
Speaking before the nation's parliament at the start of celebrations on Thursday (August 16), Suharto said, "Our understanding of human rights is not an individualistic one that sacrifices the interest of the society, the nation and country.We recognize social responsibility together with human rights."
Indonesia declared its independence on August 17, 1945, two days after the end of World War II, but was forced to fight a war against its former colonial ruler, The Netherlands, before full sovereignty was achieved.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - DANA SAELAN</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None