- Title: FRANCE: MEDIEVAL PARADE IN PARIS MARKS 1000TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE AGE OF CHIVALRY.
- Date: 1st June 1987
- Summary: 1. GV Knights on horseback. (2 SHOTS) 0.11 2. SV People in colorful costumes in parade. 0.14 3. CUs Hunchback of Notre Dame and other medieval characters. (2 SHOTS) 0.27 4. CU Executioner. 0.31 5. GV & SV Parade continues with guards and women carried in sedan chair, followed by knights on horseback. (3 SHOTS) 0.46 6. GV Parade through streets of Paris. 0.50 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 16th June 1987 13:00
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA7N202KS4DMD4U89VOX6LF9NT4
- Story Text: PARIS, FRANCE
France began 11 days of festivities in Paris on May 31 to celebrate the 1000th anniversary of the coronation of King Hugh Capet, a landmark in French history. The medieval calvacade recalled France's days of chivalry, with knights and squires, lords and ladies, troubadours and sorcerers packing the cobblestone streets and courtyards of old Paris for the parade. To a flourish of trumpets and clanking of armour, 50 banner-bearing horses and 200 actors dressed as characters of the period made their way from the city hall to Notre Dame Cathedral, built during Caretian rule. Carpet was crowned in the summer of 987, founding the formidable Capetian Dynasty that ruled France for three and a half centuries. The commemoration festivities include what is billed as the first jousting tournament since the death of Henry II of 1559 and teams of horsemen from Britain, Spain, Italy, Poland, Sweden and France will compete in various tests of skills.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - FREDERIC FABRE</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None