- Title: MOROCCO: KING HASSAN ATTENDS 21ST INDEPENDENCE ANNIVERSARY PARADE.
- Date: 19th November 1976
- Summary: 1. GV: 21st Independence anniversary parade through streets of Marrakesh, Morocco, with King Hassan of Morocco in car. 0.13 2. SV: crowd cheering 0.16 3. SV: band past 0.21 4. SV: band past 0.27 5. SV: soldiers past 0.35 6. SV: Hassan's son (in white) 0.38 7. SV: parade past 0.45 8. SV: Hassan seated 0.50 9. SVS: soldiers march past. 1.05 10. SV: Army vehicles and tanks past 1.39 Initials RH/AM/AH/2130 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 4th December 1976 12:00
- Location: MARRAKESH, MOROCCO
- Country: Morocco
- Reuters ID: LVAD4YKJ42DKIY33TFQG4KB2S063
- Story Text: The Kingdom of Morocco celebrated its twenty-first anniversary of independence on Wednesday (17 November).
SYNOPSIS: King Hassan of Morocco took the salute at a military parade to celebrate the country's independence from France. In the ancient city of Marrakesh, tens of thousands of people cheered the King, his two sons and other members of the royal party.
During the festivities special emphasis was put on Hassan the Liberator, as the King is known. Only eleven days earlier, Morocco celebrated the first anniversary of the so-called 'green peace march' into neighbouring western sahara.
The military parade in Marrakesh, lasted less than an hour. It included armoured troop carriers and tanks.
It was on November 17, twenty one years ago, that Sidi Mohammed Ben Youssef returned to Moroccan capital, Rabat, from his exile in Madagascar, after the French Government had recognized him as the legitimate Sultan of Morocco. The Sultan strengthened the position of the monarchy and assumed the title of king. On the death of King Mohammed in February 1961, his son ascended to the throne as King Hassan II. In December the following year, a new constitution was approved by referendum, establishing in Morocco a constitutional monarchy with personal and political freedoms.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None