- Title: Women mayors battle climate change
- Date: 15th March 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - JANUARY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) SAINT-SULPICE CHURCH COVERED IN SMOG AND FOG ROOFS OF PARIS WITH SMOKE COMING OUT OF CHIMNEYS TRAFFIC ON PARIS RING ROAD INFORMATION BOARDS READING (French): "POLLUTION WARNING, REDUCE SPEED" MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (FILE) (REUTERS) THE BELLAS ARTES MUSEUM PLANT POTS OUTSIDE MUSEUM AFFECTED BY SINKING THE MEXICAN CAPITAL'S CATHEDRAL ZOCALO SQUARE PAVEMENTS AFFECTED BY SINKING CARS PASSING BY NATIONAL PALACE DAMAGES CAUSED BY SINKING CHALCO, STATE OF MEXICO (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FLOODED STREETS VARIOUS OF FLOODED DRAIN CANAL
- Embargoed: 29th March 2017 22:23
- Keywords: Helen Fernandez Women4Climate climate change Anne Hidalgo Paris Miguel Mancera Patricia de Lille
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / PARIS, FRANCE / MEXICO CITY + CHALCO, MEXICO
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / PARIS, FRANCE / MEXICO CITY + CHALCO, MEXICO
- Country: Various
- Topics: Pollution,Environment
- Reuters ID: LVA002682OGNB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Women leaders from around the world convened in New York City on Wednesday (March 15) to take action against climate change.
The Women4Climate initiative was headed by Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo, with conference members talking about the role of women in their fight to combat air pollution and climate change.
In October 2016, Hidalgo was elected chair of the C40 cities group, which focuses on driving urban action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Leaders called on U.S. President Donald Trump to do more to help reach the goals agreed at the World Climate Change Conference 2015, known as COP21.
The Paris Agreement reached by nearly 200 nations over a year ago will help guide a radical shift of the world economy away from fossil fuels in order to limit heat waves, floods, droughts and rising sea levels.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None