- Title: China concludes its annual parliament session
- Date: 15th March 2017
- Summary: CHINESE PRESIDENT XI JINPING WALKING IN, FOLLOWED BY CHINESE PREMIER LI KEQIANG DELEGATES STANDING XI, LI AND OTHER DELEGATES TAKING SEATS
- Embargoed: 29th March 2017 06:06
- Keywords: China parliament closing NPC People's Congress Xi Jinping Li Keqiang
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002682KU9X
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: China's annual parliamentary session, the main meeting of the largely rubber-stamp National People's Congress (NPC), drew to a close on Wednesday (March 15) in Beijing.
The Great Hall of the People's main hall was filled with nearly 3,000 delegates as Chinese President Xi Jinping followed by Chinese Premier Li Keqiang walked in and took their seats.
A number of documents, including the government work report, the national economic and social development plan and the central budget, were then approved by delegates during rounds of voting before the session's end.
China is aiming to expand its economy by around 6.5 percent in 2017, Premier Li said in remarks at the opening of the roughly 10-day session on March 5. That compares with a 2016 economic growth target of 6.5 to 7 percent.
Top leaders at the NPC are tolerating slightly slower economic growth this year to give them more room to push through some painful reforms to deal with a rapid build-up in debt.
China's gross domestic product grew 6.7 percent in 2016, the slowest in 26 years.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.