- Title: ALGERIA: The ninth All-Africa Games end
- Date: 25th July 2007
- Summary: GUNFIRE DISPLAY ATHLETES WALKING AROUND TRACK SPECTATORS MORE ATHLETES WALKING AROUND TRACK AUDIENCE APPLAUDING ALGERIAN ATHLETES WAVING ALGERIAN FLAG ATHLETES WITH FLAGS
- Embargoed: 9th August 2007 13:00
- Location: Algeria
- Country: Algeria
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVACYPJS0NTJ8UI9766OPFFVBGMA
- Story Text: Athletes celebrated the end of the All-Africa Games in Algiers on Monday (July 23) by dancing to the songs of legendary Arabic singer Khaled King of Rai, who performed at a concert with his band at the closing ceremony.
At the end of the tournament athletes from all across Africa were able to let their hair down after two weeks of exertion in the Olympic Stadium.
Egypt topped the Games' medals table with 74 gold medals, 62 silver and 63 bronze. The Algerian hosts came a close second with 70 gold, 58 silver and 76 bronze medals. South Africa finished third with 61 gold, 66 silver and 53 bronze.
Zambia, who finished eighth in the medals table, will host the next All-Africa Games in 2011.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.