- Title: GERMANY: Ghanian President John Kufuor presented with medal of honour by Germany.
- Date: 29th August 2008
- Summary: (AD1) BERLIN, GERMANY (AUGUST 27, 2008) (REUTERS) PAN DOWN "SCHLOSS BELLEVUE" CASTLE, THE GERMAN PRESIDENT'S OFFICIAL RESIDENCE/ PRESIDENT HORST KOEHLER AND WIFE EVA LOUISE GETTING OUT OF BUILDING AND WELCOMING GHANA'S PRESIDENT JOHN KUFUOR ARRIVING BY MOTORCADE/ KOEHLER AND KUFUOR HUGGING ONLOOKERS WATCHING FROM ACROSS STREET, TWO POLICEMEN ON HORSES IN PARK KUFUOR WALKING/ EVA LOUISE AND KUFUOR'S WIFE SHAKING HANDS
- Embargoed: 13th September 2008 13:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVA5JLLUIMBS8LYPDHEJJXG48YQH
- Story Text: Ghana's President John Kufuor is awarded German medal of honour by President Horst Koehler at a ceremony in Berlin.
The President of Ghana, John Kufuor, received the German medal of honour on Wednesday (August 27) at a ceremony in Berlin.
The award consists of the medal, a miniature version of the medal and an official document signed by the German president.
German President Horst Koehler handed Kufuor the award as part of his country's "old tradition" to honour "merited personalities," the president's office said.
The "Special Version of the Great Cross" medal handed to Kufuor is reserved for heads of state and is awarded to German or foreign nationals for political, intellectual or socio-economic achievements.
"The award is the property of the person awarded; in the event of the person's death, it therefore belongs to the heirs," the president's office added.
"Only the person awarded the medal may wear it or the miniature version of it," the regulations read.
A group of students from Berlin's working class district of "Wedding", also attended the ceremony and performed a song during dinner from their musical "The Streets of Wedding."
One male student from Ernst-Schering-Oberschule school was heard telling Kufuor, "I lived in Ghana" to which the president replied, "that's fantastic. Nice to meet you."
Koehler and his wife attended a performance of the musical in June at the initiative of the U.S. ambassador to Germany who invited the German president, the school said.
Earlier on Wednesday, German Chancellor Angela Merkel held talks with the Ghanian president.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None