- Title: FRANCE: Chocolate Model Tour highlights a darker shade of beauty in Paris show
- Date: 27th November 2008
- Summary: FIVE MODELS IN FINAL RUNWAY WALK
- Embargoed: 12th December 2008 12:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: Fashion,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA9NWREQWKVOD089YHOLLEHNL53
- Story Text: Afro-Caribbean models compete in Chocolate Model Tour in Paris.
A French magazine dedicated to Afro-Caribbean women sponsored a beauty pageant in Paris on Sunday (November 23) to highlight the lack of visibility of "black beauties" in the French media.
The bi-monthly Chocolate Magazine auditioned nearly 5000 "chocolate" women aged 15 to 25 over the past several months in European, African and Caribbean cities to take part in the "Chocolate Model Tour," which culminated in the Paris event which featured 25 finalists.
Models walked the runway in colourful, sexy evening gowns as well as elegantly revealing bathing suits.
"All the girls were very beautiful. It was really difficult to choose a winner," said Erica, one of the judges.
The winner was 20-year-old Charlene Cibault from Martinique.
"I am delighted, and also proud. I am very happy," said Charlene Cibault, who was awarded a prize of 3000 euros.
Chocolate Magazine says the goal of the Tour was to present young black women as Afro-Caribbean examples of beauty and glamour, to counter the overwhelmingly white standard of beauty presented by the media and fashion industry.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.