- Title: SOUTH AFRICA: FOOTBALL/SOCCER - Maradona visits Soweto township
- Date: 22nd January 2010
- Summary: MARADONA AUTOGRAPHING A FOOTBALL AND DISTRIBUTING CAPS TO SCHOOL CHILDREN SOUNDBITE (Spanish) ARGENTINA SOCCER COACH DIEGO MARADONA SAYING: "My heart is bleeding, my heart is really bleeding. It is historical. It is so beautiful." MARADONA SIGNING MORE AUTOGRAPHS MARADONA'S MOTORCADE LEAVING SOWETO
- Embargoed: 6th February 2010 12:00
- Location: South Africa
- Country: South Africa
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVABEDOJAGYAKTHOJ9AQ2ZUP40E6
- Story Text: Diego Maradona paid a visit to Soweto during his tour of South Africa on Thursday (January 21), inspecting the Soccer City Stadium and entertaining school children in the township near Johannesburg.
Workers at the stadium took a break as the Argentinian legend had a look round and entertained spectators with a display of his skills.
His Argentina side will face Nigeria in Johannesburg on June 12 as they make their debut in the 2010 tournament and stay in the city to take on South Korea on June 17. Maradona's men play their final group game against Greece in Polokwane on June 22.
After the stadium Maradona visited the Orlando West High School in Soweto where he encouraged the pupils to concentrate on their studies as well as playing and watching soccer.
He donated computers and soccer equipment to the school and handed out gifts to many of the star-struck pupils.
Asked what he thought of the famous township he said: "My heart is really bleeding (to be here in Soweto). It is historical. It is so beautiful."
Maradona, who completed a two-month FIFA ban on Friday for making lewd comments to reporters in Montevideo after Argentina qualified for the tournament, said he had no favourites for the tournament, and would focus on the opponents in his group for now.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None