- Title: SOUTH AFRICA: FOOTBALL/SOCCER: England arrive in South Africa for the World Cup
- Date: 4th June 2010
- Summary: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA (JUNE 3, 2010) (REUTERS) PLANE CARRYING ENGLAND NATIONAL TEAM TAXIING ON TARMAC ARMED SECURITY GUARD TAKING THEIR POSITIONS NEAR PLANE SECURITY GUARDS TAKING POSITIONS ENGLAND'S INJURED PLAYER DAVID BECKHAM AND STRIKER PETER CROUCH WALKING INTO TERMINAL MORE OF ENGLAND PLAYERS GOALKEEPER DAVID JAMES (RIGHT) WALKING NEXT TO FULL BACK GLEN JOHNSON / MIDFIELDER GARETH BARRY (FAR LEFT) (FROM RIGHT TO LEFT) MIDFIELDER MICHAEL CARRICK, DEFENDER JOHN TERRY, DEFENDER AND CAPTAIN RIO FERDINAND, STRIKER WAYNE ROONEY AND MIDFIELDER JOE COLE MORE OF PLAYERS ARRIVING CLOSE UP OF ROONEY WINGER AARON LENNON (MIDDLE) WALKING WITH GOALKEEPERS JOE HART (RIGHT) AND ROBERT GREEN (LEFT) TEAM OFFICIALS ARRIVING / ENGLAND MANAGER FABIO CAPELLO MORE OF CAPELLO WALKING INTO TERMINAL PLAYERS ON TEAM COACH CLOSE OF MIDFIELDER JOE COLE IN COACH CLOSE OF MIDFIELDER SHAUN WRIGHT-PHILLIPS IN COACH COACH DRIVES OFF
- Embargoed: 19th June 2010 13:00
- Location: South Africa
- Country: South Africa
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVAC9Y52LS3EOY9S1M2L6YZ80A7F
- Story Text: England arrived at Johannesburg's OR Tampo International Airport on Thursday (June 3) and headed off to their base in Rustenburg.
England will feel optimistic about their chances of lifting only their second World Cup in South Africa following their 1966 success as host nation.
Fabio Capello's men cruised through their qualification group to reach the tournament and have been dealt what many see as a relatively kind draw that will see them play the United States, Algeria and Slovenia in Group C.
England will be relying heavily on one of the tournament's best players in striker Wayne Rooney, who has been on prolific form with club Manchester United this season.
Italian coach Capello surprisingly left out Arsenal winger Theo Walcott from his final 23 when he announced his squad earlier this week.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None