- Title: JAPAN: Toyota shares up in midst of massive recall
- Date: 10th February 2010
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (FEBRUARY 9, 2010) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE (TSE) BUILDING MONITORING FLOOR GLASS ROOM INVESTOR LOOKING AT CIRCULATING ELECTRONIC STOCK MONITOR VARIOUS OF TSE MONITORING OFFICIALS AT WORK ELECTRONIC STOCK BOARD ELECTRONIC STOCK BOARD SHOWING THE NIKKEI 225 AVERAGE DOWN 47.88 POINTS AT 9,903.94 ELECTRONIC STOCK BOARD SHOWING TOYOTA SHARES UP 70 AT 3,350 MORE OF INSIDE TSE TOKYO, JAPAN (RECENT) (REUTERS) TOYOTA AUTO SALON SHOWROOM TOYOTA SHOWROOM CUSTOMER LOOKING AT TOYOTA PRIUS PRIUS INTERIOR PRIUS WHEEL FRONT WHEEL BRAKE MORE OF PRIUS
- Embargoed: 25th February 2010 12:00
- Location: Japan
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Economic News,Transport
- Reuters ID: LVA2LAHW1PTSHOF6BCHXVTRDWERS
- Story Text: Tokyo shares trading higher before expected recall of best-selling Prius.
Toyota's shares were up on Tuesday (February 9), even as the automaker is embroiled in a massive recall that is expected to expand to their best-selling Prius as well.
Tokyo's benchmark Nikkei 225 was down 47.88 points at 9,903.94 hitting its lowest mark in two months with shares of exporters falling as heightened concerns about the euro zone's sovereign debt troubles continued to hurt investor confidence.
Although expected to announce an additional recall on its best-selling Prius hybrid models because of brake problems, Toyota's shares were up 70 yen at 3,350.
Toyota has recalled some 8 million cars around the world for accelerator problems which have been linked to crash deaths in the U.S.
Toyota shares, which have lost about a fifth of their value since late January, dropped another 2.5 percent <TM.N> on the New York Stock Exchange on Monday (February 8).
Toyota intends to file its Prius recall plan at Japan's transport ministry around 0430 GMT.
The recall will entail Toyota recalling up to 300,000 of its latest model Prius hybrid cars due to brake problems.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None