- Title: JAPAN: Joe Biden arrives in Tokyo for his first visit as U.S vice president
- Date: 23rd August 2011
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (AUGUST 22, 2011) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) AIRCRAFT CARRYING U.S. VICE PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN ARRIVING AT HANEDA AIRPORT VARIOUS OF PLANE TAXIING ON TARMAC U.S. FLAG ON AIRCRAFT BIDEN WALKING OUT OF PLANE, WAVING BIDEN WALKING DOWN ON STEPS VARIOUS OF BIDEN MEETING JAPANESE AND U.S. DELEGATES BIDEN GETTING INTO CAR U.S. AND JAPANESE FLAGS ON CAR VARIOUS OF CAR CONVOY DRIVING AWAY
- Embargoed: 7th September 2011 13:00
- Location: Japan, Japan
- Country: Japan
- Topics: International Relations,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA9R6X4T2S82I6XANC6V7SC387A
- Story Text: The U.S. Vice President arrived in Japan on Monday (August 22), on a trip aimed at showing American support for the Asian country, after its recent earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear crisis.
Joe Biden, on the third and final leg of his East Asian tour, is expected to meet Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan and visit tsunami-devastated Sendai in northern Japan on Tuesday (August 23).
The highest U.S. official to visit Japan since the March 11 earthquake, Biden will also thank U.S. civilian and military personnel who helped out in the wake of the disaster.
Japan is still struggling to recover after the country's northeast coast was struck by a magnitude nine earthquake and a powerful tsunami, which triggered the world's worst nuclear crisis in 25 years. The disaster left up to 23,000 dead or missing.
The vice president will also visit the United States Air Force base, Yokota, where some passenger jets were forced to land in the aftermath of the earthquake, after being diverted there from Narita International Airport.
Biden is expected to wrap up his first trip to East Asia as vice president on Wednesday (August 24).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None