- Title: JAPAN/SOUTH KOREA: Tokyo and Seoul shares jump on Fed stimulus.
- Date: 14th September 2012
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (SEPTEMBER 14, 2012) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE (TSE) SIGN IN ENGLISH READING:"TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE" ELECTRONIC BOARD ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING NIKKEI 225:"9133.16" UP "138.01" TO "9132.23" UP "137.08" VARIOUS OF ELECTRONIC STOCK COUNTERS FLASHING VARIOUS OF STOCK EXCHANGE CENTRE ELECTRONIC TICKERS FLASHING TSE EXCHANGE CENTRE FOREIGN EXCHANGE TRADING DESK VARIOUS OF BROKERS CALLING INTO MIKE SCREEN IN JAPANESE READING:"DOLLAR / YEN 77.53" "77.55" "77.54" NATIONAL FLAGS OF JAPAN AND USA SCREEN IN JAPANESE READING:"NIKKEI AVERAGE 9130.03" UP "134.88" AND "DOLLAR / YEN" "77.55" UP "0.07" BROKERS SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (SEPTEMBER 14, 2012) (REUTERS) SEOUL STREET TRAFFIC PEOPLE WALKING ON STREETS ELECTRONIC BULLETIN BOARD WITH STOCK INDEX AND DEALERS AT SEOUL FOREIGN EXCHANGE BANK'S DEALING ROOM KOSPI DEALERS WORKING GRAPHIC ON MONITOR VARIOUS OF STOCK INDEX ON BOARD DEALING ROOM
- Embargoed: 29th September 2012 13:00
- Location: Japan, Korea, Republic of
- Country: Japan Korea, Republic of
- Topics: Economy
- Reuters ID: LVA7YYZUH57CP1VWFUCFS5LOD6P6
- Story Text: Tokyo and Seoul shares jumped on Friday (September 14) following a Wall Street rally after the Federal Reserve launched another aggressive programme to stimulate the U.S. economy.
Japan's Nikkei average climbed 1.5 percent to above 9,000, its highest level in nearly three weeks in early trade.
Japan's government cut its assessment of the economy for a second straight month on Friday and warned that growth is pausing, signaling growing concern over the pain from the global slowdown and keeping the Bank Of Japan under pressure to provide further monetary stimulus.
The Nikkei is up 3 percent this week, set for a second straight week of gains.
Seoul shares also rose to their highest levels in more than four months, extending gains to surge above 2,000 points.
The Korea Composite Stock Price Index (KOSPI) was up 2.5 percent at 1,999.41 points by 0137 GMT after reaching as high as 2,000.93 points.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None