VARIOUS: Cleared McCanns vow to continue the search for their missing daughter Madeleine
- Title: VARIOUS: Cleared McCanns vow to continue the search for their missing daughter Madeleine
- Date: 22nd July 2008
- Summary: (BN09) PORTIMAO, PORTUGAL (FILE - SEPTEMBER 7, 2007) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GERRY MCCANN LEAVING PORTIMAO'S POLICE STATION IN THE COMPANY OF HIS PORTUGUESE LAWYER
- Reuters ID: LVA1TLJUIYF02G6W6AS42RKZAPKF
- Duration: 00:00:07
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Kate and Gerry McCann vow to continue the search for their daughter Madeleine after the Portuguese authorities shelved their investigation into the child's disappearance.
Portugal's chief public prosecutor on Monday (July 21) dropped the case on the disappearance of British girl Madeleine McCann pending any new leads and cleared her parents of suspicion of involvement.
Prosecutor Fernando Pinto Monteiro said in a statement a third suspect, Robert Murat, a Briton living in Portugal, was also cleared.
"We welcome the news today although it is no cause for celebration.
It is hard to describe how utterly despairing it was to be named arguido and subsequently to be portrayed in the media as suspects in our own daughters abduction and worse. Equally it has been devastating to witness the detrimental effect this status has had on the search for Madeline,"
Madeleine McCann's mother Kate said in a statement.
According to Portuguese law, despite the prosecutor's decision the McCann case could be re open if any new evidence is aquired.
Madeleine MCann's case has grabbed international headlines, especially after police named the parents, Gerry and Kate McCann, as suspects last September. Police have failed to find the girl or sufficient evidence to charge anybody and presented their final report to the prosecutor on July 1.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th August 2008 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None