VARIOUS: Chronology of key events after Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 went missing on March 8
- Title: VARIOUS: Chronology of key events after Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 went missing on March 8
- Date: 13th June 2014
- Summary: IN AIR OVER INDIAN OCEAN (FILE - APRIL 11, 2014) (AGENCY POOL) ROYAL NEW ZEALAND AIRFORCE (RNZAF) CREW LOOKING OUT TO SEA ABOVE THE INDIAN OCEAN CREW LOOKING OUT OF WINDOW OCEAN VIEW FROM PLANE WINDOW New Zealand is among 26 countries that were involved in the search for MH370 in various parts of the world.
- Reuters ID: LVA40NRXWTSOP9V7MQZWZPY7IOT0
- Location: Australia, Malaysia
- Country: Malaysia Australia
- Duration: 00:00:22
- Aspect Ratio:
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes
- Story Text: Months of searches have failed to turn up any trace of the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, which disappeared on March 8 carrying 239 passengers and crew shortly after taking off from Kuala Lumpur bound for Beijing.
Investigators say what little evidence they have to work with suggests the aircraft was deliberately diverted thousands of kilometres from its scheduled route before eventually crashing into the Indian Ocean.
The next phase of the search, which will be handed over from the military to the private sector, is expected to start in August and take up to a year, covering some 60,000 sq. km. (23,000 square miles) of ocean at a cost of A$60 million ($56.49 million USD) or more.
The search is already the most expensive in aviation history.
The search was narrowed in April after a series of acoustic pings thought to be from the plane's black box recorders were heard near where analysis of satellite data put its last location, some 1,600 km (1,000 miles) off the north-west coast of Australia.
But officials now say that wreckage from the aircraft was not in the area they had identified and that the search will be expanded.
Until some debris can be linked to the missing jet, many relatives of passengers on flight MH370 refuse to accept the authorities' version of events, and continue to hope their loved ones are still alive.
Sunday (June 15) marks 100 days of the plane's disappearance.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:28th June 2014 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None