- Title: CHILE: COURTS SENTENCE SENATOR JORGE LAVANDERO TO PRISON FOR MOLESTING CHILDREN
- Date: 18th July 2005
- Summary: SANTIAGO, CHILE (JULY 16, 2005) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DIRECTOR OF SENAME, NATIONAL CENTRE FOR MINORS, DELIA DEL GATTO, SAYING: "This is a good sign for boys and girls who could become victims of these types of crimes. There can be very important people involved (in these types of activities) as well as wealthy people. This (case) also allows us to feel that today, in Chile, it is possible for there to be a serious accusation and that person will be held accountable by the courts."
- Reuters ID: LVA42A10VCZVDLTRRHOE5MU1OTGR
- Location: TEMUCO AND SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Country: Chile
- Duration: 00:00:20
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Chilean courts sentences senator to prison for molesting children.
A Chilean senator was sentenced to five years in prison on Saturday (July 16, 2005) after being found guilty for sexually molesting four minors.
The Court of Appeals in the southern city of Temuco, some 675 kilometres of Santiago, revoked an earlier sentence against Jorge Lavandero that would have placed him under house arrest. Once Lavandero's lawyers learned of the new sentence, they announced they would appeal.
The prosecutor argued that Lavandero was an "obsessive pedophile" and "remained a threat", and should serve his time in a prison facility. This is the first time that a prominent Chilean has been judged under the new justice system in the country.
In recent years, Chile has gradually moved from a closed justice system to a more open one that includes oral testimonies.
Authorities in Temuco had received complaints regarding Lavandero for several years but only started investigating the case in earnest after a television network discussed the case in 2004.
Last year, Congress stripped the senator of immunity so he could stand trial on the charges.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:2nd August 2005 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None