VARIOUS: U.S. troops stationed abroad celebrate the North American holiday of Thanksgiving
- Title: VARIOUS: U.S. troops stationed abroad celebrate the North American holiday of Thanksgiving
- Date: 24th November 2005
- Summary: SOLDIERS IN CIVILIAN CLOTHES STANDING IN LINE SOLDIERS STANDING IN A LINE SOLDIERS EATING (4 SHOTS)
- Reuters ID: LVAAWMNQOQCZDAAJMY4JL2AETKPU
- Duration: 00:00:26
- Aspect Ratio:
- Topics: Defence / Military
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: U.S. troops stationed across the world celebrated the North American holiday of Thanksgiving on Thursday (November 24).
Soldiers in the high security district known as the "Green Zone" in central Baghdad feasted on the traditional turkey dinner. Zalmay Khalilzad, the U.S. ambassador to Iraq, attended the dinner and told the troops they were making a great sacrifice by being away from family and friends on Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is a traditional family celebration in the United States, with relatives often travelling great distances to celebrate the holiday together. In Kosovo, more than 1,700 U.S. troops celebrated Thanksgiving in a military camp in Bondsteel.
U.S troops in Kosovo are part of the 18.000 strong NATO peace-keeping force KFOR. In Bagram in Afghanistan U.S. soldiers followed their traditional turkey dinner with cake and fruit. But all missed their families back home. "I really miss them, and so does everybody else with their families here. We all like to be there (in the States) with them, but we can't, we got a mission to do," said U.S. soldier Voyles Randall. "It is tough to be away from the family, but the same time when you got food and friends it makes it a little bit easier," U.S. soldier, David Hughes.
In the U.S., the Thanksgiving holiday is celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November. In Canada, where the harvest generally ends earlier in the year, the holiday is celebrated on the second Monday in October.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:9th December 2005 12:00