GHANA: JOINT GERMAN-GHANAIAN VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTRE HANDED TO GHANAIAN GOVERNMENT.Record ID: 496299
- Title: GHANA: JOINT GERMAN-GHANAIAN VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTRE HANDED TO GHANAIAN GOVERNMENT.
- Date: 23rd February 1975
- Summary: 1. GV Sign "Training Centre" 0.03 2. GV EXTERIOR Building with insignia 0.06 3. GV Aferi (left) with German ambassador Motz (2 shots) 0.14 4. GV Officials and onlookers 0.16 5. GV Motz presenting Aferi with key and shaking hands 0.32 6. GV German flag being lowered 0.40 7. GV Aferi, Motz and officials watching as Ghana flag raised 0.53 8. GV AND SVS Instructor teaching students on lathe (5 shots) 1.12 9. GV AND SVS Instructor teaching students about engines (3 shots) 1.25 10. SV AND CU Trainees working on engine 1.31 11. GV Instructor showing students headlight tester 1.39 Initials CL/1609 CL/1620 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA2E0RLJ7LP3SAUP94KGPA2V9DY
- Location: KANESHIE, ACCRA, GHANA
- Country: Ghana
- Duration: 00:01:39
- Story Text: A joint Ghanaian-West German vocational training centre at Kaneshie near Accra was handed over to the Ghanaian Government in a brief ceremony last Friday (21 February).
The centre was founded in 1968 with the land, staff and running expenses provided by the Ghanaian Government and the buildings, technical equipment and experienced technical teaching staff coming from West Germany.
Thirty students a year are chosen to complete a four-year course in automotive engineering with most emphasis on practical, workshop training.
The keys of the centre were handed over to the Commissioner for Local Government, Major-General N.A. Aferi by the West German Ambassador Dr. Willi Ehmann, Regional Director for Africa and the Near East in the West German Ministry of Economic Co-operation.
When the centre opened it was staffed by 12 German instructors. There are now 16 Ghanaians and three Germans on the teaching staff. At present five Ghanaian instructors are training in Germany and they will replace the remaining West German teachers within a year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:10th March 1975 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None