U.K.: CANADIAN WINS QUALIFYING HEAT FOR 1,500 METRES IN WOMEN'S AMATEUR ATHLETICS ASSOCIATION CHAMPIONSHIP.
- Title: U.K.: CANADIAN WINS QUALIFYING HEAT FOR 1,500 METRES IN WOMEN'S AMATEUR ATHLETICS ASSOCIATION CHAMPIONSHIP.
- Date: 19th July 1974
- Summary: 1. GV Start of women's 1,500-metres heats 0.11 2. SV PAN Runners around track led by C. Hanson, U.K. (59) followed by A.H. Roberts, (U.K.) (72) and T. Wright, Canada (32); Wright moves into second place along straight 0.43 3. LV ZOOM INTO SV Runners round bend into straight, PAN ALONG with leaders as Wright passes field to lead (followed by G. Anderson, Norway, (13) with two laps to go) 1.18 4. SV Spectators watch 1.22 5. LV ZOOM INTO SV Runners roudn final bend into straight led by Wright from Anderson...and across finish line 1.44 Initials BB/0055 SPORT: ATHLETICS Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA7DXFCG8YK34QHOV3IEUFWCKHV
- Location: LONDON, U.K.
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:01:44
- Story Text: Canadian runner Thelma Wright had an easy win in the qualifying heat of the 1,500 metres at the Amateur Athletics Association meeting at London's Crystal Palace track on Friday (19 July).
Miss Wright, who bat a field of 80 runners, led from early in the race and finished in a time of four minutes 19.5 seconds behind Greta Anderson of Norway, who was timed at four minutes 19.9 seconds. Miss Wright's personal best for the 1,500 metres is four minutes 10.5 seconds. She is a Commonwealth Games Bronze Medallist. Her easy win makes her a favourite for Saturday's (20 July) finals. The European Championships are to be held in rome From 1 to 8 September; the qualifying time for the European Championships is four minutes 16 seconds.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:3rd August 1974 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None