KHMER REPUBLIC (CAMBODIA): LARGE STRETCH OF BESIEGED HIGHWAY THREE REOPENED TO TRAFFIC.
- Title: KHMER REPUBLIC (CAMBODIA): LARGE STRETCH OF BESIEGED HIGHWAY THREE REOPENED TO TRAFFIC.
- Date: 30th May 1971
- Summary: 1. TRAVEL SHOT along Highway Three with people in oxcarts. 0.11 2. GV Cars and PAN TO people arriving for ceremony. 0.16 3. GV Soldiers and PAN across road to young men sitting. 0.21 4. CU Young men (all without shirts). 0.28 5. CU Families of victims 0.34 6. GV & CU Refugees. 0.45 7. SV Flags being raised (3 shots) 0.50 8. SV Soldiers saluting (2 shots) 0.54 9. GV Monks seated 1.00 10. SV male and female soldiers unveil small memorial. 1.14 11. CU Lon Non salutes 1.20 12. SV Other officers with Lon Non. 1.25 13. SV Buddhist monks chant and people pray (2 shots) 1.31 14. SV people laying down gifts for monks. 1.33 15. CU General Lon Non giving gift to monk. 1.44 16. SCU Monks receiving food (2 shots) 1.50 17. GTV ceremony 1.57 Initials VS/22.18 ??? Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA76VH5QMWY6G8P16V56L1H35WW
- Location: HIGHWAY THREE, ABOUT SOUTH OF PHNOM PENH, KHMER REPUBLIC (CAMBODIA)
- Country: Cambodia
- Duration: 00:01:24
- Story Text: Khmer government forces have regained control of a 37 miles (60 kilometres) stretch of Highway Three, the major road linking the Republic's capital of Phnom Penh with the coastal town of Kampot. The stretch was re-opened to traffic on Saturday (May 29).
The government has taken over control of the regions surrounding the highway from Viet Cong forces who have controlled much of the area for the last year. Government troops are also hoping to re-open the road from Kampot to the country's only deepwater port at Kompong Som.
The operation was under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Lon Non, brother of the Republic's Prime Minister, Marshal Lon Nol. Colonel Lon Non presided over the special ceremony to mark the re-opening of the 37 miles (60 kilometre) stretch of the highway.
This film was shot by VISNEWS staff cameraman, Neil Davis.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:14th June 1971 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None