- Title: GREECE: MARCHERS LED BY BISHOPS, PROTEST AT ALBANIAN TREATMENT OF GREEKS.
- Date: 8th March 1982
- Summary: 1. SCU Greek flag PULL BACK TO GV Athens University with demonstrators outside (2 shots) 0.13 2. GV Demonstrators holding banner 0.16 3. CU Escapee from Albania making statement in English 0.46 4. GV Crowd listening and applauding 1.00 5. SCU Bishop of Florina addressing crowd 1.10 6. GV Crowd waving banner's and applauding 1.17 7. GV Marchers carrying banners and chanting (2 shots) 1.42 TRANSCRIPT FOR SHOT 3: ESCAPEE: "The Greek college youth gathered here today in front of the University of Athens to protest at the oppression of human rights of 400,000 Greeks living under the brutal rule of the Albanian regime today. Four hundred thousand Greeks are living under the worst circumstances in our civilised age. Twenty-two thousand Greeks exist today in Albania in camps because of political or religious reasons, since 1967". InitialsBB Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVACB4YPRLGVNUNZSX0UU1T4STD5
- Location: ATHENS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Duration: 00:01:53
- Topics: General
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: ATHENS, GREECE
In the Greek capital of Athens, thousands of protesters, led by seven bishops, have marched on the Greek Parliament. They were protesting at the treatment of minority groups, particularly Greeks, within Albania. The marchers assembled on Wednesday (3 March), at the University of Athens, where they planned to hand over a letter of protest at what they called 'Albanian oppression'. One man, who had fled Albania for Greece, said that thousands of Greeks were persecuted for their religious sand political beliefs.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - TRANSEAST ATHENS</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd March 1982 12:00