UPPER VOLTA: CRAFT CENTRES PRODUCING TANNED, WOVEN & EMBROIDERED PRODUCTS IN OUAGADOUGOU.
- Title: UPPER VOLTA: CRAFT CENTRES PRODUCING TANNED, WOVEN & EMBROIDERED PRODUCTS IN OUAGADOUGOU.
- Date: 15th May 1973
- Summary: 1. GV & CU EXT. Arts centre with sign (2 shots) 0.05 2. SV & CU INT. Men working with hides (2 shots) 0.10 3. SV & CU PAN Finished animal heads mounted on walls (2 shots) 0.34 4. CU PAN Partly-completed heads on work bench 0.38 5. CU PAN Boxes of horns & bones 0.45 6. SCU Factory worker 0.48 7. SV EXT. Artificial heads laid out in sun to dry 0.51 8. SV Horns in fluid 0.54 9. SCU Workmen stuffing animal's head with straw 0.59 10. GV & CU EXT. Female workers' centre & sign (2 shots) 1.04 11. SV PAN INT. Women using looms (2 shots) 1.15 12. SV Women weaving carpet 1.19 13. CU Finished carpets (2 shots) 1.24 Initials ESP/1852 ESP/1910 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA6YW5EOBNWNZ3W2GXIXEYCX5Y4
- Location: OUAGADOUGOU, UPPER VOLTA
- Country: Burkina Faso
- Duration: 00:01:24
- Story Text: The drought in Upper Volta has ended any hopes of profit from the country's two main industries, farming and livestock breeding, and the craft industry has now become an important factor in the country's economy.
There are two national craft centres in the capital, Ouagadougou, both set up by the government. At the tanning centre, many products are made for export. They include mounted animal heads, as well as hides for the big shoe factories of France, Germany and the United States. The centre employs fifty men and has a turnover of 36 million CFA's (Central African Francs) (GBP6 million) a year.
The Women's Craft Centre nearby was set up in 1969. It is financed by the European Development Fund. Madame Pompidou visited the centre when she accompanied the French President on an official tour last November.
There are a hundred girl students -- all over fifteen -- and the centre has an annual turnover of about 20 million CFA's (GBP3 million).
One of the objects of the course is to train the girls so that they can work at home. And more than a hundred of them are now doing this.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:30th May 1973 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None