- Title: Arab leaders' summit gets underway in Jordan
- Date: 29th March 2017
- Summary: DEAD SEA, JORDAN (MARCH 29, 2017) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** VARIOUS OF EGYPTIAN PRESIDENT ABDEL FATTAH AL-SISI PRESIDENT OF THE PRESIDENCY COUNCIL OF THE GOVERNMENT OF NATIONAL ACCORD OF LIBYA FAIEZ SERRAJ
- Embargoed: 12th April 2017 13:38
- Keywords: Arab Summit Jordan Dead Sea
- Location: DEAD SEA, JORDAN
- City: DEAD SEA, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00B6A0K0NB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Jordan's King Abdullah said on Wednesday (March 29) peace would not be attained in the Middle East without the creation of a Palestinian state under a two-state solution that would be the basis of a comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace deal.
In a speech at the start of an Arab summit held beside the Dead Sea, King Abdullah said the kingdom's western neighbour Israel was wrecking the chances of peace by accelerating settlement building in occupied Palestinian territory.
Divided Arab leaders who are attending the one day summit will be seeking common ground to reaffirm their commitment to a Palestinian state, a longstanding goal that U.S. President Donald Trump last month put into doubt.
Lebanese President Michel Aoun tripped and fell face down as Arab heads of state gathered at the start of their summit, television footage showed. Aoun, 82, appeared to trip on a low, red-carpeted podium where flags of Arab states had been arranged. King Abdullah helped him to his feet.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None