- Title: LIBYA: Hundreds of women march in Benghazi pleading for a no-fly zone
- Date: 10th March 2011
- Summary: BENGHAZI, LIBYA (MARCH 9, 2011) (REUTERS) WOMEN DEMONSTRATING FOR THE END OF VIOLENCE, HOLDING ANTI-GADDAFI BANNERS BANNERS WOMEN MARCH BANNER READING: "AL ZAWIYA IN OUR HEARTS" WOMEN MARCHING BANNER READING: "LIBYANS WILL NEVER FORGET THE MASSACRE OF ABUSLEEM" (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED DEMONSTRATOR, SAYING: "Mr. Obama please don't you see that the boys are every day dying. We want no-air zone. He's (Gaddafi) a big liar, he doesn't like us, he doesn't belong here, he has to leave this country." MORE OF DEMONSTRATION DEMONSTRATION BANNERS PROTESTERS WALKING DOWN THE STREET BANNERS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DEMONSTRATOR, NAJAH, SAYING: "Out (with Gaddafi), we want a no-fly zone. Leave and step down. But the Libyan people will not let him step down, they will kill him. He will suffer a hundred deaths." GIRL HOLDING REBEL FLAG WOMAN RAISING HAND IN VICTORY SIGN WOMEN CHANTING DEMONSTRATION IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATION
- Embargoed: 25th March 2011 12:00
- Location: Libya
- Country: Libya
- Topics: War / Fighting,International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVA9VJBZINTZHPSP8KTISAB9B7QR
- Story Text: Hundreds of women march on the streets of Benghazi protesting against the conflict and calling for the imposition of a no-fly zone.
Several hundred women marched on the streets of the Libya's eastern city of Benghazi on Wednesday (March 9) protesting against the conflict and demanding dictator Muammar Gaddafi step down.
The women held banners citing recent battles where rebel forces clashed with government troops and crimes committed by the Gaddafi regime in the past, such as the 1996 massacre of prisoners in Abusleem.
One demonstrator pleaded for U.S. President Barack Obama's attention to the conflict.
"Mr. Obama please don't you see that the boys are every day dying," the woman said.
"We want no-air zone. He's (Gaddafi) a big liar, he doesn't like us, he doesn't belong here, he has to leave this country," she said.
Another demonstrator demanded Gaddafi step down and the imposing of a no-fly zone over Libya.
"Out (with Gaddafi), we want a no-fly zone," Najah said.
"Leave and step down. But the Libyan people will not let him step down, they will kill him. He will suffer a hundred deaths," she added.
Forces loyal to Gaddafi attacked rebels with rockets, tanks and planes on Tuesday (March 8), intensifying their efforts to crush the revolt.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None