- Title: Dalai Lama arrives at Tawang monastery in India
- Date: 7th April 2017
- Summary: TAWANG, ARUNACHAL PRADESH, INDIA (APRIL 7, 2017) (REUTERS) DALAI LAMA ARRIVING AT TRADITIONAL WELCOME CEREMONY AT TAWANG MONASTERY DALAI LAMA BEING ESCORTED DOWN A RAMP INTO THE FORECOURT OF THE 17TH CENTURY TAWANG MONASTERY VARIOUS OF MONKS GREETING THE DALAI LAMA AS HE WALKS TOWARDS THE MAIN TEMPLE OF THE MONASTERY MONKS GREETING THE DALAI LAMA VARIOUS OF THE DALAI LAMA BEING GREETED BY MONKS AS HE WALKS TOWARDS THE MAIN TEMPLE OF THE MONASTERY LAMAS STANDING WITH FOLDED HANDS
- Embargoed: 21st April 2017 13:57
- Keywords: Dalai Lama Tibet exiled spiritual leader Tawang India China
- Location: TAWANG, ARUNACHAL PRADESH, INDIA
- City: TAWANG, ARUNACHAL PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BEIKW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Dalai Lama drove to a remote Buddhist enclave nestled in the icy folds of the eastern Himalayas on Friday (April 7), where he had passed through after fleeing Tibet in 1959 following a failed uprising against Chinese rule.
The visit, and the Indian government's decision to have its representatives host him, has escalated tensions between the world's two most populous nations - whose relationship is one of mutual suspicion lingering from a brief 1962 border war.
Dalai Lama, who is also considered the God-king by his followers, was given a colourful and traditional welcome upon his arrival at the 17th century monastery.
A trip by the Dalai Lama, whom the Chinese regard as a dangerous separatist, would ratchet up tensions at a time when New Delhi is at odds with China on strategic and security issues and unnerved by Beijing's growing ties with arch-rival Pakistan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.